Old 16-11-2016, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sweet Pea Germinated

Two weeks ago Monty Don suggested Oct/Nov is a good time to sow. I've had
little luck with Spring sown. Poor germination and stunted growth.

10 days ago, I sowed half pkt on window sill and the other half in
greenhouse. Total of 25 seeds in two 9" pots. 20+ have germinated. Pots were
3/4 filled with garden soil, then topped with multi-purpose. I watered them
ONCE as per MDs instructions. I'll soon move the porch pot to the coldframe
and compare growth with the greenhouse pot.

Old 17-11-2016, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/11/2016 15:13, Bertie Doe wrote:
Two weeks ago Monty Don suggested Oct/Nov is a good time to sow. I've
had little luck with Spring sown. Poor germination and stunted growth.

10 days ago, I sowed half pkt on window sill and the other half in
greenhouse. Total of 25 seeds in two 9" pots. 20+ have germinated. Pots
were 3/4 filled with garden soil, then topped with multi-purpose. I
watered them ONCE as per MDs instructions. I'll soon move the porch pot
to the coldframe and compare growth with the greenhouse pot.

It's a great system if we have a nice Spring, but a total disaster if
it's cool and damp. I'm going for a late spring sowing this time round

---

Old 17-11-2016, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message ...

On 16/11/2016 15:13, Bertie Doe wrote:
Two weeks ago Monty Don suggested Oct/Nov is a good time to sow. I've
had little luck with Spring sown. Poor germination and stunted growth.

10 days ago, I sowed half pkt on window sill and the other half in
greenhouse. Total of 25 seeds in two 9" pots. 20+ have germinated. Pots
were 3/4 filled with garden soil, then topped with multi-purpose. I
watered them ONCE as per MDs instructions. I'll soon move the porch pot
to the coldframe and compare growth with the greenhouse pot.

It's a great system if we have a nice Spring, but a total disaster if it's
cool and damp. I'm going for a late spring sowing this time round

Yep you're probably right that Spring sown is best. My neighbour sowed in
early Sept in greenhouse and they're looking a bit leggy.

My local Trago Mills discount warehouse sells Fothergills, Unwins etc plus
the budget 'Dee Ree' brand. A month ago they discounted Dee Ree Spencer
mixed, down to 40p pkt. So I thought I'd give Monty Dons Autumn sown method
a whorl. I didn't see the prog, it might pay me look at Gardeners World
iPlayer. If my seedlings fail, I'll try again with a Jan sowing indoors
(suggested by Dee Ree) or coldframe as per Unwins :-
http://www.unwins.co.uk/how-to-grow-...d-ggid168.html

They say early overwatering is the biggest menace :-) Meanwhile my
'coldframe' needs to be mouse-proofed, it's an old concrete 'Conqueror' coal
bunker. I've put an outdoor-grade plastic lid on it, which works OK.

Old 19-11-2016, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/11/2016 11:51, Bertie Doe wrote:

[...]

I think one underestimates the rate at which a healthy spring sown
seedling progresses. A mile a minute it seems, faster by far than an
Autumn sown struggler.

---

Old 19-11-2016, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message ...

On 17/11/2016 11:51, Bertie Doe wrote:
They say early overwatering is the biggest menace :-) Meanwhile my
'coldframe' needs to be mouse-proofed, it's an old concrete 'Conqueror'
coal bunker. I've put an outdoor-grade plastic lid on it, which works OK.

I think one underestimates the rate at which a healthy spring sown seedling
progresses. A mile a minute it seems, faster by far than an Autumn sown
struggler.

I haven't given up on spring sown, in fact I've just ordered some more, plus
a pkt of icicle radishes. Neighbouring allotment recommends Sea Kay, so I'll
give them a try. 50,000 positive feedback, can't be bad, although their site
is a bit tiresome to navigate
:-http://stores.ebay.co.uk/seekayhorticulturalsupplies/

OT but whilst on the subject of Ebay, I'd try these :-
http://tinyurl.com/jhbpzzf

The fact you get 500 seeds for £1 grabbed my attention. I grow chillies in
the g/h, in the space alongside toms and cucumbers.

Old 19-11-2016, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/11/16 10:53, Bertie Doe wrote:

[...]

Whilst you're about it on Ebay, you might like to try these, as the
seller forgot to say they taste of the finest steak:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500-Pcs-Rare-Rainbow-Rose-Flower-Seeds-Multi-color-Plant-Home-Garden-LOVER-/400988085109?hash=item5d5cc09b75

Or these, which no doubt taste of cavia
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-pcs-bag-Rainbow-Chrysanthemum-Flower-Seeds-rare-color-fo/162176952877?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkpa rms=aid%3D2220071%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc% 3D38661%26meid%3D42ebf7c898354961a279e09e75d65d53% 26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D252437688 127

That's the problem with Ebay - you really don't know what you will be
getting.

--

Jeff
Old 19-11-2016, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/11/16 12:29, Chris Hogg wrote:

I've often fancied growing my own spaghetti tree, as featured on that
BBC Panorama programme many years ago, but I've never seen seeds
advertised, let alone plants.

You could always try these and use your imagination:
http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_...paghetti_seeds

But I imagine that string has a lot more flavour!

--

Jeff
Old 19-11-2016, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/11/2016 10:53, Bertie Doe wrote:

[...]

Easy enough to find them
Try http://seekay.co.uk/

They are also on Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...sl_wz2lk7oin_p

Old 19-11-2016, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.thomasetty.co.uk/seeds/veg-flower-2017.pdf
Old 19-11-2016, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/11/2016 12:29, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 11:52:03 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

[...]

You've probably Pasta few sauces

Old 19-11-2016, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message news
[...]

As long as they've got a good positive feedback, I've had no prob with
ordering stuff direct from China. Mind you, the intensity of the colour on
the rose and chryanth look a bit suspicious :-)

Old 19-11-2016, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

On 19/11/2016 11:52, Jeff Layman wrote:
That's the problem with Ebay - you really don't know what you will be
getting.

http://www.thomasetty.co.uk/seeds/veg-flower-2017.pdf

Thanks, they look good, very olde worlde. Saved to favs.

Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
One acorn germinated Jacqueline Davidson Gardening 10 04-06-2008 03:54 PM
Which seeds need to be germinated first? William Rose Edible Gardening 10 15-03-2007 02:10 AM
Desert Rose germinated... now what... Matthew J.E. Durkin United Kingdom 21 07-12-2004 10:35 AM
It germinated! (Banana, that is!) Also pumpkin question Darkginger United Kingdom 6 18-07-2003 03:44 AM