Old 11-12-2016, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rabbit Fence

On 09/12/2016 09:36, Derek wrote:
On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 18:08:38 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

Here on the 'Growing Plot.' we have a few bunnies,

How big is the plot?

Approximate 2.5 acres, but we will only be protecting a quarter of
that at this time.
We can see we need a barrier, which is sunk into the ground, but the
height we are not sure of.
Another problem, is putting large posts in very fine river loam, as
its like putting a stake into a bag of compost, goes in very very
easy, comes out even easier. (but the soil is great for growing stuff
in)

I am surprised that no one has said Electric rabbit netting,
It is more expensive initially but you can often get hold of second hand
or refurbished units and you can always get an extra roll of netting if
you want to enlarge the area you are protecting. You don't have to dig
in any netting or hammer in posts.
It is quick and easy to install.
I have had mine now for 5 years and it not only keeps out the rabbits
but also foxes, badgers and any other animal that wants to wander over
your plot.
With wire netting, if a badger decides it wants to get in , say for your
sweet corn then you can say good bye to a stretch of your netting.
Have a look at a few sites on Google (other browsers are available)

http://www.electricfencing.co.uk/electricnetting.asp

David @ a rain free side of Swansea Bay
Old 12-12-2016, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 11:52:06 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

Here on the 'Growing Plot.' we have a few bunnies,

I am surprised that no one has said Electric rabbit netting,
It is more expensive initially

Lovely idea, but 200yds would be £700 which is too expensive, a
possible wish for the (far) future.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Here on the 'Growing Plot.' we have a few bunnies,

I am surprised that no one has said Electric rabbit netting,
It is more expensive initially

Lovely idea, but 200yds would be £700 which is too expensive, a
possible wish for the (far) future.

You didn't shop around at all did you?
Try
http://www.ukcountrystore.co.uk/acat...All%20Products
Old 12-12-2016, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Here on the 'Growing Plot.' we have a few bunnies,

I am surprised that no one has said Electric rabbit netting,
It is more expensive initially

Lovely idea, but 200yds would be £700 which is too expensive, a
possible wish for the (far) future.

You didn't shop around at all did you?
Try
http://www.ukcountrystore.co.uk/acat...-Netting.html?

utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=teclan %20SC%20
(Bing)&utm_term=1103400272905&utm_content=All%20Pr oducts

Which gives the cost of the initial kit as £162 plus £75 for each
additional 50m length so just about half the price.

Old 13-12-2016, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 11:09:31 -0000, Janet wrote:

Here on the 'Growing Plot.' we have a few bunnies,
I am surprised that no one has said Electric rabbit netting,
It is more expensive initially

Lovely idea, but 200yds would be £700 which is too expensive, a
possible wish for the (far) future.

Sorry thought I had explained in an earlier post. We are in a field in
the middle of nowhere, 300 yds from any road/building, without water
or electricity. The £700 was looking at a solar panal big enough to
charge a bank of batterys.

The link is cheaper than I found, but not by much, as
4 Lenths of netting £300
2 Energisers £160
1 solar panal £215

Janets idea of the 'L' shaped chicken wire is the best for us, as 200
yards, we are looking at spending under £200, which we don't have at
the moment, but santa may just call

Thanks

'
'
'

Dereks Fuchsia site
http://lincolnfuchsiasociety.info/
Lincolnshire Growing plot
https://www.facebook.com/Worth-Unlim...4577250648362/
Old 16-12-2016, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 17:51:53 +0000, Derek
wrote:

Here on the 'Growing Plot.' we have a few bunnies, chances are by next
year they would have multiplyed, so we need to stop them eating our
vegetables, how high and how deep does our fence need to be,
Bearing in mind we are a charity helping vunderble young adults, whats
a cheap way of keeping the bunnies out.

Get a cat! There are times in the year (when they are breeding) when
I hardly need to feed one of mine he's so good at catching rabbits.

On a different track I had a pet rabbit as a child. One night he dug
his way out of his run and decimated the lettuce I had been growing.
He didn't stay long after that! The point is, you need to bury the
fence into the soil as well as having it above the soil.
Old 16-12-2016, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 23:51:20 +0000, Graham Harrison
wrote:

Here on the 'Growing Plot.' we have a few bunnies,

Get a cat! There are times in the year (when they are breeding) when
I hardly need to feed one of mine he's so good at catching rabbits.

We agree :-)

So we contacted a cat rescue center in Kent, who re home feral cats,
(those that cannot go to houses) and so Beryl, Cheryl and Meryl roam
free, We see them occainasionly, they have a hutch for really cold
weather, but we hope they keep the mice and rats down, but bunnies
will make a change of diet.

'
'
'