Old 24-12-2016, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Climbing beans etc.

We had a good crop of beans this year, especially the ones that I
grow for drying - Borlotti, Trail of Tears and Gigantes. But, as
usual, we got a good crop of blue French beans, which went over
too quickly. I am going to try well-separated repeat planting
next year but, as I shall have to expand my bean cage, I shall
have room for more, and would appreciate suggestions (not just
Phaseolus).

We don't like yellow beans, and green beans have not grown well
or been tasty in the past decade or so; I am not really bothered,
as blue are much better. Snap peas etc. are unreliable here.
The key requirements are climbing, VERY tasty, and not too
delicate. What other varieties of beans and peas match that?

I don't want to repeat Achocha, but am interested in exotic
vegetables, too. However, my garden is a cold one, without full
sunlight, so I can't grow the ones that are too borderline in the
UK. Sweet potato is out, for example.

And have a good Yule!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.