Old 30-12-2016, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Which herb in which bath!

Our community garden has been given a number of rejected corner baths,
which we intend to plant up with herbs, A quick easy way of creating a
raised beds, for those in wheelchairs. A program this year with Monty
Don, explained that certain herbs needed different conditions, ie poor
soil, better drainage etc. So which herb needs which bath, bearing in
mind we can create the perfect conditions.
Old 17-01-2017, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/12/2016 08:31, Derek wrote:
Our community garden has been given a number of rejected corner baths,
which we intend to plant up with herbs, A quick easy way of creating a
raised beds, for those in wheelchairs. A program this year with Monty
Don, explained that certain herbs needed different conditions, ie poor
soil, better drainage etc. So which herb needs which bath, bearing in
mind we can create the perfect conditions.

I'm not sure there is nearly enough drainage in the average bath, corner
or otherwise. That single plug hole is unlikely to be of much help and
will quickly get blocked. Unless the baths are acrylic, I wouldn't have
thought you could drill holes without shattering the bath.
Had I gained such bounty, I should be looking at turning them into a bog
garden, with perhaps one as a pond. Either way, they would have to be
very well disguised.
--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 18-01-2017, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 14:57:13 +0000, Spider wrote:

On 30/12/2016 08:31, Derek wrote:
Our community garden has been given a number of rejected corner baths,

I'm not sure there is nearly enough drainage in the average bath, corner
or otherwise.

Completly agree, they are acrylic and I will be making more holes

Had I gained such bounty, I should be looking at turning them into a bog
garden, with perhaps one as a pond.

We have already got a local farmer to build us a pond, and its looks
good. But a bog garden is a very good idea.

very well disguised.

We have been donated a large number of damaged fence panals, some are
being cut down to clad our static caraven, turning it into a smart
cabin. The off cuts we plan to put around the baths, so they will
look something like a 'hot tub' ?

Lots done,and lots and lots to do :-)
Old 19-01-2017, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/01/2017 14:57, Spider wrote:
On 30/12/2016 08:31, Derek wrote:

Our community garden has been given a number of rejected corner baths,
which we intend to plant up with herbs, A quick easy way of creating a
raised beds, for those in wheelchairs. A program this year with Monty
Don, explained that certain herbs needed different conditions, ie poor
soil, better drainage etc. So which herb needs which bath, bearing in
mind we can create the perfect conditions.

I'm not sure there is nearly enough drainage in the average bath, corner
or otherwise. That single plug hole is unlikely to be of much help and
will quickly get blocked. Unless the baths are acrylic, I wouldn't have
thought you could drill holes without shattering the bath.

I wouldn't have thought that the baths would mind having holes drilled
in them - I'd probably try a wood drill as a quicker way to make larger
holes ~15-15mm at the lowest level. I sawed one in half fairly recently
to take it out. I'd have been delighted if it had shattered. It didn't.

A layer of shale chippings, broken crocks or perlag in the bottom to
prevent soil clagging up the drainage holes.

Had I gained such bounty, I should be looking at turning them into a bog
garden, with perhaps one as a pond. Either way, they would have to be
very well disguised.

One as a bog garden for hardy insectivorous plants, mosses and other
wetland plants seems like an interesting idea.

One with very aggressive drainage for alpines at the other extreme.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 22-01-2017, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/01/2017 08:40, Derek wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 14:57:13 +0000, Spider wrote:

On 30/12/2016 08:31, Derek wrote:
Our community garden has been given a number of rejected corner baths,

I'm not sure there is nearly enough drainage in the average bath, corner
or otherwise.

Completly agree, they are acrylic and I will be making more holes

Lots, I hope, for mediterrean herbs, plus lots of grit or sharp sand in
the compost.

Had I gained such bounty, I should be looking at turning them into a bog
garden, with perhaps one as a pond.

We have already got a local farmer to build us a pond, and its looks
good. But a bog garden is a very good idea.

I have a small bog garden, but wish it were huge. There are so many
lovely plants that like boggy conditions.

very well disguised.

We have been donated a large number of damaged fence panals, some are
being cut down to clad our static caraven, turning it into a smart
cabin. The off cuts we plan to put around the baths, so they will
look something like a 'hot tub' ?

Lots done,and lots and lots to do :-)

That all sounds great. You're making me envious. I haven't been in the
garden for about three months. I was very ill in November, leaving me
with a weak chest that doesn't doesn't like this frosty weather,
suffered Christmas in December, the death of a beloved cat in January.
Things can only get better. I'm almost aching to get out there now, but
I'll have to be very careful when I do, but there'll be no stopping me.!
--
Spider
On high ground in SE London

Old 22-01-2017, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/01/2017 14:52, Spider wrote:
I have a small bog garden, but wish it were huge. There are so many
lovely plants that like boggy conditions.

Suggestions please.

We have a clay bed that likes to flood. I'm working on the soil
condition, but changing the drainage will be ... interesting.

Andy
Old 25-01-2017, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 08:31:39 +0000, Derek wrote:

Our community garden has been given a number of rejected corner baths,
which we intend to plant up with herbs,

Derek : I think you said you are in Lincoln. Can you say where the garden is -
I sometimes visit friends who live there : I would love to see it.
(I could give a hand if I was there for a few days !!)

Old 26-01-2017, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 10:07:02 +0000, Judith in England
wrote:

Derek : I think you said you are in Lincoln. Can you say where the garden is -
I sometimes visit friends who live there : I would love to see it.

No secret, Its at Cherrywillingham, about 3 miles east of Lincoln.
Unfortunately at the moment its almost impossible to get too, due to
the fact the site is 250 yds away from the nearest road, and the path
is like a quagmire, we can't get a trailer to the site, and everything
has to be carried, even a wheel barrow is impossible, but there is a
plan to get a paved road to the site, (and we have the funding!)

The Site will not be fully opened to the public, because at times we
have vulnerable young adults working, but email me before the next
time you are in the area and I will give you a guided tour.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Derek posted
No secret, Its at Cherrywillingham, about 3 miles east of Lincoln.
Unfortunately at the moment its almost impossible to get too, due to
the fact the site is 250 yds away from the nearest road, and the path
is like a quagmire, we can't get a trailer to the site, and everything
has to be carried, even a wheel barrow is impossible, but there is a
plan to get a paved road to the site, (and we have the funding!)

The Site will not be fully opened to the public, because at times we
have vulnerable young adults working,

You are right to be cautious. No member of the public should be allowed
near any vulnerable young adult unless having first had a thorough
criminal record check.

--
Jack
Old 03-02-2017, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/02/2017 09:41, Handsome Jack wrote:

You are right to be cautious. No member of the public should be allowed
near any vulnerable young adult unless having first had a thorough
criminal record check.

Yep, according to Mumsnet 5% of the adult male population is a paedophile.

I would be more worried about teachers and the priesthood - they only
enter those professions in order to get close to vulnerable children.