Old 05-01-2017, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default using Microsoft Project

I run a therapeutic horticultural project for marginalised young
people which is totally staffed by volunteers, in Lincoln, and would
like to see if Microsoft Project, would be suitable to use as a
calendar for our seed sowing over the year, (tried google calendar,
but its not perfect).
Has anyone tried this?
Old 05-01-2017, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/01/17 07:38, Derek wrote:
I run a therapeutic horticultural project for marginalised young
people which is totally staffed by volunteers, in Lincoln, and would
like to see if Microsoft Project, would be suitable to use as a
calendar for our seed sowing over the year, (tried google calendar,
but its not perfect).
Has anyone tried this?

Never used it. Lots of free alternatives - just search on "Microsoft
Project" and "Freeware". For example, see:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/fiv...-alternatives/
http://blog.capterra.com/7-of-the-be...-alternatives/

One of them might fit your needs if Microsoft Project doesn't.

--

Jeff
Old 05-01-2017, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Derek wrote:

would like to see if Microsoft Project, would be suitable to use as
a calendar for our seed sowing over the year, (tried google
calendar, but its not perfect). Has anyone tried this?

It's probably 20 years since I used MS Project in anger, but I'd have
thought it's overblown for that requirement, are you just looking for an
online calendar, or do you really want to be able to link dependencies
between tasks, determine how long tasks will take given different
numbers of volunteers etc?

You could probably get a 30 day trial of the online office365 version,
But after the trial, you'd need at least one "Professional" subscription
for £22/month and can have additional "Essentials" users at £5/month.

https://products.office.com/en-gb/project/compare-microsoft-project-management-software

If Project isn't the thing, the cheaper office365 subscriptions give you
a calendar and a task planner ...

Old 05-01-2017, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/01/2017 07:38, Derek wrote:
I run a therapeutic horticultural project for marginalised young
people which is totally staffed by volunteers, in Lincoln, and would
like to see if Microsoft Project, would be suitable to use as a
calendar for our seed sowing over the year, (tried google calendar,
but its not perfect).
Has anyone tried this?

I am inclined to agree with Andy. Project has a modest learning curve
and depending on the complexity a simple drawing package might be easier.

If you want a MS Project compatible application then consider ProjectLib
http://www.projectlibre.com/

I confess to only using it to open MS Project documents. However the
intention is for ProjectLibre to have the same functionality as the paid
product.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 07:38:06 +0000, Derek wrote:

I run a therapeutic horticultural project for marginalised young
people which is totally staffed by volunteers, in Lincoln, and would
like to see if Microsoft Project, would be suitable to use as a
calendar for our seed sowing over the year, (tried google calendar,
but its not perfect).
Has anyone tried this?

I have a little experience of MS project and also Excel

I would really try to produce the calendar in Excel (as I do) - I would find
MS Project unnecessarily complex for such a job.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, 5 January 2017 07:38:07 UTC, Derek wrote:
I run a therapeutic horticultural project for marginalised young
people which is totally staffed by volunteers, in Lincoln, and would
like to see if Microsoft Project, would be suitable to use as a
calendar for our seed sowing over the year, (tried google calendar,
but its not perfect).
Has anyone tried this?

Are you Fuchsia Derek? If so you know me as "Jake". Blast from the past!

In response to your question I'd say "Nay, Nay and thrice Nay". Any so-called project manager will over-complicate the simplest of situations. It's a fall-back for people who know what they're doing but need to convince others (management!). Get a large sheet of paper and a few different coloured pens. You will achieve far more in far less time. Though if you need to convince management, get them to fork out for a "project manager" package and feed everything you already have on paper into it.

Essentially, project managers merely computerise what you already have on paper. And they cannot think!
Old 10-01-2017, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Are you Fuchsia Derek? If so you know me as "Jake". Blast from the past!

Guilty as charged :-)
Our fuchsia Society has closed, but the website contiues under the
Divingbrit banner.

Having tried many options, I have decided to use an online calendar.
'Teamup', which is free for small groups, and it does just what we
want.

Look out for more strange posts on here as half a dozen of us (with
only limited experience) change a two acre field into a communal
garden for marginlised young people.