GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Greenhouse width considerations (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/214272-greenhouse-width-considerations.html)

Andrew 07-01-2017 07:08 PM

Greenhouse width considerations

Does anyone have views on the ideal width for a greenhouse - used for
raising plants/tomatoes etc. I am planning a greenhouse 12' long and
either 8' or 10' wide. A wider house takes more space, costs more and
has a greater (more stable?) air volume. But does it increase the
growing space - since there is a practical width for reaching over
staging. Does it simply mean a wider central path? Any views or
practical experiences welcome.

Andrew

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 08-01-2017 09:43 AM

On 07/01/2017 19:08, Andrew wrote:
Does anyone have views on the ideal width for a greenhouse - used for
raising plants/tomatoes etc. I am planning a greenhouse 12' long and
either 8' or 10' wide. A wider house takes more space, costs more and
has a greater (more stable?) air volume. But does it increase the
growing space - since there is a practical width for reaching over
staging. Does it simply mean a wider central path? Any views or
practical experiences welcome.

Andrew

I think it depends on whether you are intending to use all of the ground
or just beds (or benches) I have 5 at 8'x14'all with double doors and 4
vents these are have benches to the sides and path in the middle, I have
1 6'x8' which is rubbish, but we use it for growing tom plants in the
ground, I could never see any advantage with 10' but will admit that if
more than one person is in the greenhouse then 10 would be easier than 8'!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

66oldgit 08-01-2017 10:43 AM

Greenhouse width considerations

On Saturday, 7 January 2017 19:07:34 UTC, Andrew wrote:
Does anyone have views on the ideal width for a greenhouse - used for
raising plants/tomatoes etc. I am planning a greenhouse 12' long and
either 8' or 10' wide. A wider house takes more space, costs more and
has a greater (more stable?) air volume. But does it increase the
growing space - since there is a practical width for reaching over
staging. Does it simply mean a wider central path? Any views or
practical experiences welcome.

Andrew

Ideal for me is our 12 x 10. which allows me and the wife to work together in comfort, with benches both sides. It's a Robinson with double doors, so easy access for barrow etc.

Andrew 09-01-2017 10:34 PM

66oldgit wrote:
On Saturday, 7 January 2017 19:07:34 UTC, Andrew wrote:
Does anyone have views on the ideal width for a greenhouse - used for
raising plants/tomatoes etc. I am planning a greenhouse 12' long and
either 8' or 10' wide. A wider house takes more space, costs more and
has a greater (more stable?) air volume. But does it increase the
growing space - since there is a practical width for reaching over
staging. Does it simply mean a wider central path? Any views or
practical experiences welcome.

Andrew

Ideal for me is our 12 x 10. which allows me and the wife to work together in comfort, with benches both sides. It's a Robinson with double doors, so easy access for barrow etc.

Thank you for all your comments. It seems there is little value in the
extra width unless more than one person is working in the greenhouse.

Andrew