Old 06-02-2017, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wild flower seeds?

I have an area of garden,about 50 square yards, which I would like to
seed with wild flowers. Preferably ones that will reseed in later years.
How much will I need and where is there a reliable source? Thanks
Old 06-02-2017, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 11:37:30 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

I have an area of garden,about 50 square yards, which I would like to
seed with wild flowers. Preferably ones that will reseed in later years.
How much will I need and where is there a reliable source? Thanks

Can't recommend a source, but wildflower meadows do best on poor soil,
so that they don't get swamped by weedy grasses etc, apparently.

See
http://tinyurl.com/h4jpncj

and don't ever imagine it's going to be low-maintenance.

Native perennial and bienniel wildflowers such as rushes, docks,
ragwort, thistles, nettles, cocksfoot grass, creeping buttercup will
readily infiltrate the " annual wildflower" area and take over, unless
you laboriously remove the invaders before they set seed.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=446

Janet.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/02/2017 11:37, Broadback wrote:
I have an area of garden,about 50 square yards, which I would like to
seed with wild flowers. Preferably ones that will reseed in later years.
How much will I need and where is there a reliable source? Thanks

What grows well there at the moment? You can get a fair number of meadow
flowers to grow in a suitably poor soil but in a garden it may take a
while for the soil fertility to get to a point where the wild flower
seedlings can establish before the grass overruns them.

IOW you may be wasting your money unless you zap the grass first in the
patches that you decide to seed. Seeding it all will be wasteful. If
they like the conditions they will spread in a couple of seasons.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown