GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rhubarb mulch (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/214394-rhubarb-mulch.html)

David Hill 12-02-2017 03:58 PM

Rhubarb mulch

I am wondering about trying shredded paper as a mulch for my rhubarb as
my new shredder chops it into little bits rather than strands.
Anyone tried it?
David@ a cold side of Swansea Bay

Gary Woods 12-02-2017 04:06 PM

Rhubarb mulch

David Hill wrote:

I am wondering about trying shredded paper as a mulch for my rhubarb as
my new shredder chops it into little bits rather than strands.

Haven't tried it for rhubarb, but the "crosscut" shredded stuff composts
nicely. Now, if somebody will make a reasonably-priced shredder that
doesn't use plastic gears...

Bob Hobden[_6_] 12-02-2017 04:33 PM

Rhubarb mulch

On 12 Feb 2017 15:58, David Hill wrote:
I am wondering about trying shredded paper as a mulch for my rhubarb as
my new shredder chops it into little bits rather than strands.
Anyone tried it?
David@ a cold side of Swansea Bay

Not tried it as a mulch, just add it to my compost heap.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Jeff Layman[_2_] 12-02-2017 05:32 PM

Rhubarb mulch

On 12/02/17 15:58, David Hill wrote:
I am wondering about trying shredded paper as a mulch for my rhubarb as
my new shredder chops it into little bits rather than strands.
Anyone tried it?
David@ a cold side of Swansea Bay

Why do you need to mulch it, David? If it's to keep moisture in the
soil, I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem where you are!

--

Jeff

David Hill 12-02-2017 06:15 PM

Rhubarb mulch

On 12/02/2017 17:32, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 12/02/17 15:58, David Hill wrote:
I am wondering about trying shredded paper as a mulch for my rhubarb as
my new shredder chops it into little bits rather than strands.
Anyone tried it?
David@ a cold side of Swansea Bay

Why do you need to mulch it, David? If it's to keep moisture in the
soil, I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem where you are!

To keep weeds down the crowns are quite young