GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Organic Carrots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/214405-organic-carrots.html)

Judith in England 19-02-2017 12:56 PM

Organic Carrots

How are they grown : don't they have to bother about carrot root fly?

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 19-02-2017 01:09 PM

Organic Carrots

In article ,
Judith in England wrote:

How are they grown : don't they have to bother about carrot root fly?

Fleece.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

No. 6 19-02-2017 02:16 PM

Organic Carrots

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 12:56:07 +0000, Judith in England wrote:

How are they grown : don't they have to bother about carrot root fly?

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants...ways-to-avoid-
carrot-root-fly/

but they don't include my favourite method

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 19-02-2017 06:33 PM

Organic Carrots

In article , No. 6 wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 12:56:07 +0000, Judith in England wrote:

How are they grown : don't they have to bother about carrot root fly?

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants...ways-to-avoid-
carrot-root-fly/

but they don't include my favourite method

Of which 7 don't work at all, to my certain knowledge.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bob Hobden[_6_] 20-02-2017 11:00 AM

Organic Carrots

On 19 Feb 2017 13:09, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Judith in England wrote:

How are they grown : don't they have to bother about carrot root fly?

Fleece.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Whenever we have tried to use fleece over carrots we get nil
germination. We use an old water tank so they are well above the
ground (the fly are lazy) which also allows us to use sandy open
compost which carrots like.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 20-02-2017 01:15 PM

Organic Carrots

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

How are they grown : don't they have to bother about carrot root fly?

Fleece.

Whenever we have tried to use fleece over carrots we get nil
germination. We use an old water tank so they are well above the
ground (the fly are lazy) which also allows us to use sandy open
compost which carrots like.

My point stands; that's what they use. You don't need to put the
fleece on until after the seedlings appear, though I don't find it
makes any difference. Of course, that's on sandy soil in Cambridge,
and it may be a damping-off issue. I find carrot germination is
always unreliable.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bob Hobden[_6_] 20-02-2017 02:04 PM

Organic Carrots

On 20 Feb 2017 13:15, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

How are they grown : don't they have to bother about carrot root

fly?

Fleece.

Whenever we have tried to use fleece over carrots we get nil
germination. We use an old water tank so they are well above the
ground (the fly are lazy) which also allows us to use sandy open
compost which carrots like.

My point stands; that's what they use. You don't need to put the
fleece on until after the seedlings appear, though I don't find it
makes any difference. Of course, that's on sandy soil in Cambridge,
and it may be a damping-off issue. I find carrot germination is
always unreliable.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Actually we used to find germination a bit patchy but since using
bought compost with a lot of added sharp sand not had a problem. Best
germination was when we used to save our own seed of a heritage
variety, the Chertsey Carrot, just about 100%.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 21-02-2017 07:23 AM

Organic Carrots

In article ,
Peter Robinson wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article , No. 6 wrote:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants...ways-to-avoid-
carrot-root-fly/

but they don't include my favourite method

Of which 7 don't work at all, to my certain knowledge.

Which 7?

All except the barrier methods and biological controls. I am
unconvinced of the last, on lifecycle grounds.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jeff Layman[_2_] 21-02-2017 11:01 AM

Organic Carrots

On 21/02/17 07:23, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Of which 7 don't work at all, to my certain knowledge.

Which 7?

All except the barrier methods and biological controls. I am
unconvinced of the last, on lifecycle grounds.

I wondered about using a combination of methods, Barrier for the main
crop. Then a few carrots several metres from the main crop and some of
those sticky yellow sheets around, maybe with some crushed carrot tops
around them just to add to the attraction. Is there any chance the CRF
would get stuck to the yellow stuff, or do you think they would be
careful enough to ignore it? Or maybe some sacrificial carrots in pots
with a wasp-trap. Could the CRF get out once they were in?

--

Jeff

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 21-02-2017 03:34 PM

Organic Carrots

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

Of which 7 don't work at all, to my certain knowledge.

Which 7?

All except the barrier methods and biological controls. I am
unconvinced of the last, on lifecycle grounds.

I wondered about using a combination of methods, Barrier for the main
crop. Then a few carrots several metres from the main crop and some of
those sticky yellow sheets around, maybe with some crushed carrot tops
around them just to add to the attraction. Is there any chance the CRF
would get stuck to the yellow stuff, or do you think they would be
careful enough to ignore it? Or maybe some sacrificial carrots in pots
with a wasp-trap. Could the CRF get out once they were in?

Dunno. That might work in an enclosed garden, but I doubt otherwise,
because the fly can host in many of the umbelliferae. I haven't been
able to find out how far it can fly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.