Old 27-02-2017, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Powered patio washer

In article ,
says...

On 2/26/2017 8:18 PM, John Rumm wrote:
On 26/02/2017 16:25, Ermin Trude wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 15:43:29 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 26/02/17 13:11, Ermin Trude wrote:
It is getting to the time of year when the flagstones will be washed of
the winter grime and slime.

In the past I've used n ordinary pressure washer with a 'fanned' jet to
go over the paving (taking care to avoid the pointing between). As
there is c85sq m of paving to front, sides and rear I'm toying with the
idea of getting a washer with a 'patio' attachment (basically two
spinning jets enclosed within a bowl).

They *seem* to be more efficient in giving a more uniform clean and
also *seem* to offer a quicker option to clean such larger areas.

Can anyone offer any views on them from practical experience please?
Also any preference on makes/models from practical experience.

I've had Karcher in the past but had not been too happy with them so
I'm wondering about Nilfisk?

Google may be my friend but it does get very confusing!

TIA

Ermin

A subject often discussed in uk.d-i-y. You should get a lot of answers
if you repost there.

I'll try adding it - hopefully it will work.

I have a Karcher TRacer head for mine... it makes the job quite a bit
easier since you are not carrying the weight of the jet or trying to
control it - it becomes more like toting an upright vacuum cleaner
about. A nice bonus is you end up wearing slightly somewhat less of the
crud you wash off!

Good timing for me, I was just thinking about investigating / shopping.
Presumably they are a bit more benign towards pointing than a standard
lance? Also, I'm interested in opinions about using bleach or other
cleaning products. Have grown quite a lot of algae on the new (cheap
Indian sandstone) slabs this winter, especially in the areas which don't
see so much direct sun.

I wouldn't use bleach. When our concrete back steps get slippery with
algae I use Jeyes fluid, elbow greas, a scrubbing brush, and rince with
hose.

Years ago I borrowed a neighbour's karcher pressure cleaner to clean
the concrete and it did no end of damage to the surface. Never again.

you might try the very useful paving website belonging to
professional paver and ex-urgler Tony

http://www.pavingexpert.com/maintain_02.htm

Janet

Janet
Old 27-02-2017, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 13:47:51 +0000, Janet wrote:

I wouldn't use bleach. When our concrete back steps get slippery with
algae I use Jeyes fluid, elbow greas, a scrubbing brush, and rince with
hose.

you might try the very useful paving website belonging to
professional paver and ex-urgler Tony

http://www.pavingexpert.com/maintain_02.htm

But this does recommend the use of bleach!

Ermin
Old 27-02-2017, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Ermin Trude wrote:

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 11:02:55 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/nilf...ad-x-tra-cold-

water-pre/

This was more powerful, the parts click together much more easily, and
the hose reel is handy.

Yes, I can see the advantage of the reel - hoses can be awkward things.
Is it a 'flow through' or do you have to completely unreel it before use?

Flow through, and quite flexible IME.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 27-02-2017, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Ermin Trude wrote:

overall is/was the Nilfisk good?

Overall yes, a solid machine, I don't have a patio head for it though as
the reviews for the Nilfisk one weren't really glowing

Old 28-02-2017, 02:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Ermin Trude wrote:

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 15:43:29 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 26/02/17 13:11, Ermin Trude wrote:
It is getting to the time of year when the flagstones will be washed
of the winter grime and slime.

In the past I've used n ordinary pressure washer with a 'fanned' jet
to go over the paving (taking care to avoid the pointing between).
As there is c85sq m of paving to front, sides and rear I'm toying
with the idea of getting a washer with a 'patio' attachment
(basically two spinning jets enclosed within a bowl).

I had a small Karcher which was OK, but a bit underpowered.When it aged
I replaced it with a Nilfisk

I was disappointed with the Karchers I'd had - reliability was a bit
questionable and I'm now put off by the price.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/nilf...ad-x-tra-cold-

water-pre/

This was more powerful, the parts click together much more easily, and
the hose reel is handy.

Yes, I can see the advantage of the reel - hoses can be awkward things.
Is it a 'flow through' or do you have to completely unreel it before use?

Useful advice on the power/click together. Thankyou.

The biggest problem with a patio brush is sand or grit getting into the
pivot and affecting rotation of the spray arm.

Something I'll watch out for.

Have a read of the pressure washer FAQ for a bit more to consider:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Pressure_washer_FAQ

--
Cheers,

John.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/02/2017 13:11, Ermin Trude wrote:
[...]

I use a washer attachment, I originally got it to clean my tunnel covers
but now use it on the bricked paths and slabs, does a good job and is
less messy

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 12-03-2017, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 09:17:17 +0000, Charlie Pridham wrote:

On 26/02/2017 13:11, Ermin Trude wrote:
It is getting to the time of year when the flagstones will be washed of
the winter grime and slime.

idea of getting a washer with a 'patio' attachment (basically two
spinning jets enclosed within a bowl).

They *seem* to be more efficient in giving a more uniform clean and
also *seem* to offer a quicker option to clean such larger areas.

Can anyone offer any views on them from practical experience please?
Also any preference on makes/models from practical experience.

I've had Karcher in the past but had not been too happy with them so
I'm wondering about Nilfisk?

I use a washer attachment, I originally got it to clean my tunnel covers
but now use it on the bricked paths and slabs, does a good job and is
less messy

Thanks Charlie - which washer do you use? Karcher, Nilfisk or another?

I'm torn between Karcher and Nilfisk. N are a bit cheaper but K are more
generally available with a greater opportunity for spares.

Ermin

Simoniz pressure washer serious problem Andy Kalsey Lawns 1 13-10-2003 05:32 PM
Which Pressure washer? crom United Kingdom 4 11-05-2003 08:21 PM
30 year old washer question Aron Lawns 2 22-04-2003 05:32 PM
Pressure washer help Mark Lawns 0 09-02-2003 06:55 PM