Old 21-03-2017, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default North Wall shrub please

We have a scruffy NNE facing brick wall that we want to cover.
The wall is about 8ft long and 7ft high, with an overhanging
roof. There is an 18 inch wide bed between it and a path.

SWMBO wanted an evergreen Jasmine, but they are not at all
shade lovers.

What can folks suggest for an evergree/flowering/preferably
scented/easy care shrub that would be suitable for such a
position?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 21-03-2017, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/03/2017 16:07, Roger Tonkin wrote:
We have a scruffy NNE facing brick wall that we want to cover.
The wall is about 8ft long and 7ft high, with an overhanging
roof. There is an 18 inch wide bed between it and a path.

SWMBO wanted an evergreen Jasmine, but they are not at all
shade lovers.

What can folks suggest for an evergree/flowering/preferably
scented/easy care shrub that would be suitable for such a
position?

Evergreen makes it tougher.

Hydrangea petiolaris will be OK on a north facing wall and has nice
flowers in early summer. Bit slow growing though.

Ivy in one of its variagated forms is an option I suppose.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 21-03-2017, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 21/03/2017 16:07, Roger Tonkin wrote:
We have a scruffy NNE facing brick wall that we want to cover.
The wall is about 8ft long and 7ft high, with an overhanging
roof. There is an 18 inch wide bed between it and a path.

SWMBO wanted an evergreen Jasmine, but they are not at all
shade lovers.

What can folks suggest for an evergree/flowering/preferably
scented/easy care shrub that would be suitable for such a
position?

Evergreen makes it tougher.

Hydrangea petiolaris will be OK on a north facing wall and has nice
flowers in early summer. Bit slow growing though.

And FAR too big for the location when it does grow.

Ivy in one of its variagated forms is an option I suppose.

I can also second J. nudiflorum and Garry elliptica. Clematis
cirrhosa might be OK, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-03-2017, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/03/17 16:07, Roger Tonkin wrote:
We have a scruffy NNE facing brick wall that we want to cover.
The wall is about 8ft long and 7ft high, with an overhanging
roof. There is an 18 inch wide bed between it and a path.

SWMBO wanted an evergreen Jasmine, but they are not at all
shade lovers.

What can folks suggest for an evergree/flowering/preferably
scented/easy care shrub that would be suitable for such a
position?

Hydrangea seemanii.
Aucuba japonica "Rozannie".
Euonymus fortunei.

--

Jeff

Old 23-03-2017, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message news
On 21/03/2017 16:07, Roger Tonkin wrote:

What can folks suggest for an evergree/flowering/preferably
scented/easy care shrub that would be suitable for such a
position?

Evergreen makes it tougher.

Hydrangea petiolaris will be OK on a north facing wall and has nice flowers
in early summer. Bit slow growing though.

Ivy in one of its variagated forms is an option I suppose.

I have a few hydrangeas on a north facing fence but they're deciduous. Quite
hardy, in addition to shade grown, they thrive in a border only 18" deep.

Not sure of their names, there's a few each of flatcap purpley blues and
mophead whites :-
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s5jdkxyy2...eLtQc9JFa?dl=0

I usually remember to cut the tops off below the fence but last year I
forgot. My neighbour didn't mind :-)

You mentioned it was against a wall. I assume it has a foundation, so
dryness maybe an issue?

Old 24-03-2017, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Mar 2017 16:07, Roger Tonkin wrote:
We have a scruffy NNE facing brick wall that we want to cover.
The wall is about 8ft long and 7ft high, with an overhanging
roof. There is an 18 inch wide bed between it and a path.

SWMBO wanted an evergreen Jasmine, but they are not at all
shade lovers.

What can folks suggest for an evergree/flowering/preferably
scented/easy care shrub that would be suitable for such a
position?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Depends on how dry the soil is. You suggest it may be very dry with
overhanging roof.
If it does remain moist and is acid or neutral then a
Camellia or two would do the job eventually and can easily be pruned
to shape.
Lots available now, our local Farm Shop at Lyne has some nice ones
for small money, so worth looking around.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden