GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hydrangea cuttings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/214522-hydrangea-cuttings.html)

Bertie Doe 11-04-2017 10:46 AM

Hydrangea cuttings

From about a dozen Hydrangea cuttings, 3 managed to take. I'm removing them
from the g/house by day, prior to planting them out permanently :-

http://prnt.sc/ev1a0c

As you see, the middle plant (about 12" tall) is showing signs of flower
heads. Question is - if I remove all early heads, preventing them from
flowering in 2017, can I expect them to gain height and bulk this year? TIA.

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 11-04-2017 12:34 PM

Hydrangea cuttings

In article ,
Bertie Doe wrote:

As you see, the middle plant (about 12" tall) is showing signs of flower
heads. Question is - if I remove all early heads, preventing them from
flowering in 2017, can I expect them to gain height and bulk this year? TIA.

It's generally recommended, for that reason, yes. I wouldn't rely
on it, because it may not start any new growth shoots.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bertie Doe 11-04-2017 03:52 PM

Hydrangea cuttings

Thanks Nick and Chris. I'll compromise and maybe leave a couple of flowers
on each.