Old 04-05-2017, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cowslip seeds

I am going to try and save seeds from some cowslips I have,

There is a fair bit on the web on how to do it: but I would be interested if
anyone has any direct experiences to share.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 04 May 2017 11:15:27 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:

I am going to try and save seeds from some cowslips I have,

There is a fair bit on the web on how to do it: but I would be interested if
anyone has any direct experiences to share.

Many thanks to Phil Gurr for his email explaining what he does.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I am going to try and save seeds from some cowslips I have,

There is a fair bit on the web on how to do it: but I would be interested if
anyone has any direct experiences to share.

Many thanks to Phil Gurr for his email explaining what he does.

Are we all allowed to see?

I have cowslips in my lawn, but I'd like to encourage them into one end
- it'll make my mowing easier, I'll just leave that bit.

(ditto the bee orchids...)

Andy
Old 06-05-2017, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

o.uk...
wrote:

I am going to try and save seeds from some cowslips I have,

There is a fair bit on the web on how to do it: but I would be interested if
anyone has any direct experiences to share.

Many thanks to Phil Gurr for his email explaining what he does.

Are we all allowed to see?

Didn't think it would be of much general interest, but here it is:-
Janet, when I was manager of the Ashton Wold Wildflower Project
we grew four native species of Primula for both plants and seed.
Cowslip was one of the easiest to collect seed from as the heads are
collected as soon as the top of the seed capsule splits. The heads
are laid on wooden trays lined with several layers of wide kitchen roll
and left to dry in a protected, airy environment. If you have some
cowslips setting seed at the moment, it pays to cover the plants with
a wire cage as birds and mice are very liable to nip the seed heads
off. Seed should be sown (covered) in October and left to stratify in
a cold frame over winter. The seed trays should be brought inside
in March and germination usually occurs within 14-21 days.
Oxlip (Primula elatior) can be treated as cowslip, but common
primrose (Primula vulgaris) should have the seed heads covered
with kitchen roll type paper and kept wet until the seeds are shed.
Primula scotica seed is collected as with cowslip but sown seed
will germinate readily after 3 - 4 weeks in the freezer without a long
period of stratification.
Phil

---
http://www.avg.com

Old 07-05-2017, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/05/2017 23:11, philgurr wrote:
Didn't think it would be of much general interest,

Thank you.

I've only ever seen a couple with the tops nipped off. I assumed it was
rabbits.

OTOH we have seen deer in the garden, and yesterday we saw our first hare

Andy