Old 04-05-2017, 09:08 PM
Registered User

Cool Hi & shrub screen

hi guys, newbie here from N.E Essex.
I used to live in a small village with my parent, with a large garden but when we get older we have to move out, that was 9 years ago and ive been slowly working on my garden since. its obviously not a big garden being in a town so space is pretty valuable to me
ive come to a point I have decided it want to make my garden completely private within a few years, not because I'm unsociable, but because I see it as being part of my house.
my garden is small and goes to a point, down the left I have put in a fe shrubs that will block that side within a few years, all good.
down the right there is grass with a 4ft fence panel to my neighbours which is where I want to block.
I'm looking for something that will get about 6ft high, don't mind it it doesn't bare leaves down low and it would be nice if it came out at the top to make a sheltering effect. but it must be able to be kept tight to the fence down low due to space and it would be nice if its quick growing (but not essential, I'm a patient person lol)
any suggestions would be great, thanks, Dean
Old 04-05-2017, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hi & shrub screen

On 04/05/2017 20:08, Dean85 wrote:
[...]

My first thought is Why not put up a 6ft fence
Old 04-05-2017, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

In order for any hedge to be stable it needs a certain thickness so
making them very thin is both difficult (especially if you can only cut
one side) and also likely to blow over. better to go for a fence with
some evergreens trained back against it or a supported trellis with
evergreens woven through (sometimes called a "Fedge")
Depending on your soil type Non prickly Holly and Camellia can both be
kept very thin if backed by a supporting fence

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 05-05-2017, 12:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Dean85.13813908
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

[...]

Bamboo is quick, screens high up with a feathery effect, and the lower
parts can be clear stems. However you would have to consider what your
neighbour has on the other side of the fence (p[aving? Garage? shed?
all good) as some bamboos tend to travel. Ideally it would be trapped in
a narrow bed between two solid paths.

Janet.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:18 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
[...]

Its my neighbours fence, plus i prefere something more natural and encourage more birds

Old 05-05-2017, 08:18 AM
Registered User

Id also concidered some black bamboo as i like the small evergreen leaves but next door has a pond right by the fence... puncture??

Also thought about a budlia but aiming towards the orange ball type (take a cutting from my dad, they always grow)
Old 05-05-2017, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/05/2017 23:50, Janet wrote:
In article , Dean85.13813908
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

I'm looking for something that will get about 6ft high, don't mind it it
doesn't bare leaves down low and it would be nice if it came out at the
top to make a sheltering effect. but it must be able to be kept tight to
the fence down low due to space and it would be nice if its quick
growing (but not essential, I'm a patient person lol)
any suggestions would be great, thanks, Dean

Your requirements are mutually incompatible anything fast growing will
require continuous work to keep it inside the space envelope. Almost no
hedges thinner than 2' will survive wind loading if they are 6' tall
unless there is a strong fence buried somewhere inside them.

A trellis on top of the fence and clematis or an evergreen climber
through it might be one solution - but even then some of my more
vigorous clematis have been known to get 2-3' deep in a season.

A taller fence might well be the least bad solution to your problem.

Bamboo is quick, screens high up with a feathery effect, and the lower
parts can be clear stems. However you would have to consider what your
neighbour has on the other side of the fence (p[aving? Garage? shed?
all good) as some bamboos tend to travel. Ideally it would be trapped in
a narrow bed between two solid paths.

Fast growing bamboos have a bad habit of being invasive. Though I have
had trouble keeping them alive in North Yorkshire on clay soil that is
waterlogged in bad winters.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 05-05-2017, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

I grow Phyllostachys aureosulcata f. aureocaulis , it has survived at
least 10 years and only mildly spread from where it began (easily
controllable by cutting).
Nice yellow stems. It's wet but mild in winter here.

Janet (Isle of Arran)
Old 09-05-2017, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

-
My first thought is Why not put up a 6ft fence

Its my neighbours fence, plus i prefere something more natural and
encourage more birds

You can put your own fence inside the other one, if your neighbour doesn't
want it any higher.

Or agree to pay for a higher fence even though your neighbour is supposed
to maintain it.

Cheers

Dave R

---