Old 06-05-2017, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The breeding of a new plant

Thank goodness for dedicated breeders...
http://www.geraniaceae-group.org/dev..._zonartic.html

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 07-05-2017, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/05/17 23:09, Bob Hobden wrote:
Thank goodness for dedicated breeders...
http://www.geraniaceae-group.org/dev..._zonartic.html

Where would we be without them?

Having said that, rather like the "blue" rose, there is quite a way to
go with the yellow geranium. It's interesting that the best "true"
yellow (rather than a deepish cream), appears to reside with the double
flowers rather than the single ones (96218 and, on the linked webpage,
1963 and 08019). That's a pity, as geranium double flowers are hardly
different from any other double flowers. I'm not awfully keen on double
flowers for that reason - they all look like each other!

I would say that the yellow geranium is, more or less, at roughly the
same stage of development as the yellow magnolia. We have Magnolia
"Yellow Lantern", and although when the buds first break the lower half
is pale yellow, the rest is cream, and as they open the yellow fades.

Then one has to wonder as to whether or not gardeners want these unusual
colours. I remember all the fuss over the red delphiniums introduced 20
years ago. They've all but disappeared now.

--

Jeff