Old 07-05-2017, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawn tractors

Son is thinking of getting one, I dont have one (not enough grass)
anyone with any experience of the sorts of machines that will cope with
2-3 acres of Rough grass, and before anyone suggest sheep, he has tried
them but they were more interested in eating his trees and hedges and
definitely like short rather than long grass!
--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 07-05-2017, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Son is thinking of getting one, I dont have one (not enough grass)
anyone with any experience of the sorts of machines that will cope with
2-3 acres of Rough grass, and before anyone suggest sheep, he has tried
them but they were more interested in eating his trees and hedges and
definitely like short rather than long grass!

We have about 7 acres quite a lot of which needs mowing. We have had
a Kubuto T1600 for several years (15 or more now) after a few false
starts with other makes. The Kubuta is diesel (if cost is relevant
and you can get it red diesel is allowed) and just goes on and on
hacking through really tough mowing as well as doing the lawn around
the house. It's needed just replacement belts (as expected),
replacement blades (ditto) and a couple of joints in the transmission
over the years. The engine has just chugged on without much attention
except the (very occasional) oil change.

--
Chris Green
·
Old 07-05-2017, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 07 May 2017 10:06:54 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

Son is thinking of getting one, I dont have one (not enough grass)
anyone with any experience of the sorts of machines that will cope with
2-3 acres of Rough grass,

Kubota for a proper 'tractor type' available in various sizes.

Stiga can also be recommended for a less tractor like look. Beware of
how these can be priced though as the prices don't always include the
deck which is front mounted on hydraulics.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:
Son is thinking of getting one, I dont have one (not enough grass)
anyone with any experience of the sorts of machines that will cope with
2-3 acres of Rough grass, and before anyone suggest sheep, he has tried
them but they were more interested in eating his trees and hedges and
definitely like short rather than long grass!

A cow or cows, of a suitable breed. There may be a local farmer
who will pasture them for a while. If the reason the sheep didn't
eat the grass is because it is unpalatable, rather than too long,
that won't work, either.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.