Old 27-05-2017, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Baby corn isolation

I'm growing Minipop corn and as I believe it's harvested before pollination, I'm wondering whether it works to grow it not too far from ordinary sweetcorn. Can it be harvested before the tassels begin to shed their pollen in order to prevent contamination of other varieties?
Janet G
Old 27-05-2017, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/05/2017 15:12, Janet G wrote:
I'm growing Minipop corn and as I believe it's harvested before pollination, I'm wondering whether it works to grow it not too far from ordinary sweetcorn. Can it be harvested before the tassels begin to shed their pollen in order to prevent contamination of other varieties?
Janet G

The tassels don,t shed pollen they are the female part that carries the
pollen to the embryonic seeds, It's the plume on top of the plant that
has the pollen
David @ a dull and damp side of Swansea Bay
Old 28-05-2017, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 May 2017 17:04, David wrote:
On 27/05/2017 15:12, Janet G wrote:
I'm growing Minipop corn and as I believe it's harvested before pollination, I'm wondering whether it works to grow it not too far from ordinary sweetcorn. Can it be harvested before the tassels begin to shed their pollen in order to prevent contamination of other varieties?
Janet G

The tassels don,t shed pollen they are the female part that carries the
pollen to the embryonic seeds, It's the plume on top of the plant that
has the pollen
David @ a dull and damp side of Swansea Bay

Yes, so there is no reason you couldn't cut the pollen carrying bits
off before they mature.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden