Old 02-06-2017, 08:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Hozelock reel

I have a hozelock reel model 2415, could do with swapping over the inlet
and winding handle between sides to suit using the wallhanger in a
different position.

The assembly instructions helpfully say that it's a one-of choice and
cannot be altered

https://vimeo.com/125556317

It looks like four alignment "prongs" and four plastic hooks hold the
handle in place and other than being awkward to get at, should come
apart with suitable persuasion, any one tried and succeeded (or failed)?

Old 02-06-2017, 10:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Andy Burns wrote:

It looks like four alignment "prongs" and four plastic hooks hold the
handle in place and other than being awkward to get at, should come
apart with suitable persuasion

My dad, who started his career as an aircraft mechanic called that "Brute
force and foul language." I've seen similar fastenings, and they generally
were not meant to be taken apart. If you can get at the ends of the
prongs and lift one at a time with something like a flat-blade screwdriver,
you might get them to release*, but I'll bed they'll break easily, leaving
you to, perhaps pin the works together with a drilled hole and screw.

My experience with those hose reels is that they're more bother than
they're worth, but I'm in the country where it's perfectly OK to just coil
the hose in a figure-eight near the sillcock if it's in the way for the
occasional mowing.

You suburbanites with critical neighbors, well...

---
http://www.avg.com

Old 02-06-2017, 10:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

I forgot:

*Think lock picking.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old 02-06-2017, 10:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In uk.d-i-y Gary Woods wrote:
My dad, who started his career as an aircraft mechanic called that "Brute
force and foul language." I've seen similar fastenings, and they generally
were not meant to be taken apart. If you can get at the ends of the
prongs and lift one at a time with something like a flat-blade screwdriver,
you might get them to release*, but I'll bed they'll break easily, leaving
you to, perhaps pin the works together with a drilled hole and screw.

Hozelock do sell spare winding handles, though you'd have to check they are
available for your model.

Theo
Old 02-06-2017, 10:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Andy Burns pretended :
It looks like four alignment "prongs" and four plastic hooks hold the handle
in place and other than being awkward to get at, should come apart with
suitable persuasion, any one tried and succeeded (or failed)?

Some thin tube of a suitable diameter, pushed onto the prongs should
free them.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:24 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 20:43:27 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

I have a hozelock reel model 2415, could do with swapping over the inlet
and winding handle between sides

It looks like four alignment "prongs" and four plastic hooks hold the
handle in place and other than being awkward to get at, should come
apart with suitable persuasion, any one tried and succeeded (or failed)?

I did it, though unhelpfully I can't remember exactly how.
I think I depressed the catch hooks by using long thin screw drivers
and some wiggling.

G.Harman
Old 03-06-2017, 01:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I have a hozelock reel model 2415, could do with swapping over the inlet
and winding handle between sides

It looks like four alignment "prongs" and four plastic hooks hold the
handle in place and other than being awkward to get at, should come
apart with suitable persuasion, any one tried and succeeded (or failed)?

They do sell a kit of spares for about Ā£17 delivered.

I did it, though unhelpfully I can't remember exactly how.
I think I depressed the catch hooks by using long thin screw drivers
and some wiggling.

OK I soon realised it wasn't going to be able to get at it without
removing the shell, of course a couple of the screwheads had rusted
after years of being covered in mud and leaf mulch.

Tried piggling some disposable bits of metal (aka jewellers
screwdrivers) under the hooks, but could only depress two or three at a
time.

tried squishing the hooks with some water pump pliers, but the hooks
flattened and released in the centre but not at the edges.

It was "kill or cure" by this point, so took two pairs of mole grips and
got them locked-on to close the hooks together and managed to lever the
handle off which promptly flew half way across the garden.

The hooks are a bit mangled, but should have enough purchase when I put
it back together. I'm sure the designer was really proud of saving the
company 2p worth of screws per reel ... if it breaks I won't be buying
another hozelock one.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

replying to Andy Burns, Steve brown wrote:
Just did mine can be quite awkward but I found undoing the 8 torx screws with
a tx20 long reach screwdriver needs to be just over 100mm long because of 1
hard to reach screw and splitting the case then I used a jubilee clip over the
4 prongs tightened it up a bit to close the prongs and the handle prised out
quite easy the whole process took me about 30 minutes but I wasn't rushing and
jobs a good un
Hope this helps

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...l-1213614-.htm

Old 02-08-2020, 04:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

replying to Steve brown, PandzaMan wrote:
You are a god and a genius. Worked for me and saved me no end of pain. So just
to elaborate on what Steve said. Mine has nine cross head screws (2007 model)
on the outer casing and yes one requires quite a long cross head screwdriver!
Undid these and then got the jubilee clip but was struggling as the clip keep
popping off before the desired tightness was achieved to push the winding arm
out. So I placed a small block of wood into the jubilee clip as I was
tightening, making sure to push down on the jubilee clip. Once Iā€™d got the
clip as tight as it would go I had a very wide long flat head screwdriver and
wedged it between the handle base and the reel frame and wiggled twisted the
flat head to prise off the handle. After a few twists voila the handle popped
off with zero damage to the clips... Iā€™m still in awe of the jubilee clip
idea ... absolute genius.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...l-1360338-.htm

Old 14-04-2021, 02:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Tel Tel is offline

Brilliant worked a treat šŸ‘

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...l-1213614-.htm

Old 14-04-2021, 05:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Amazingly informative post, thanks for such erudite quoting of old crap.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tel" wrote in message
groupdirect.com...
Brilliant worked a treat ??

Old 15-04-2021, 01:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 14/04/2021 14:15, Tel wrote:
Brilliant worked a treat šŸ‘

Before looking stupid again, read this:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub
Old 26-04-2021, 07:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

I used a jubilee clip over the 4 prongs
Brilliant! Steve brown is indeed a god and a genius. Thanks PandzaMan for the additional tips. One more tip: 2 of my cross head screws were badly corroded. I replaced all of them with stainless steel screws (8 x 3/4" [19mm], pan head, coarse self-tapping thread) from Screwfix: https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive...100-pack/1755h
They were a perfect fit and should not rust.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...l-1213614-.htm