Old 03-06-2017, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anyone familiar with the ECHO SRM 2010 trimmer/strimmer?

I took a chance on an Echo SRM 2010 2-stroke strimmer from a car boot sale. The seller was honest enough to tell me he had trouble getting it running. But for £10, I thought it was worth a gamble as a 'try and get it working' project.

Assuming it sparks, what things should I clean/renew, in logical order of likelihood of faultiness?

The seller hazarded a guess at the carb diaphragm, but I have no idea if his guess was worth paying attention to.

Many thanks for any help.

Al-W

PS Finding a workshop manual online is proving harder than I'd hoped.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Jun 2017 04:18, Al-W wrote:
I took a chance on an Echo SRM 2010 2-stroke strimmer from a car boot sale. The seller was honest enough to tell me he had trouble getting it running. But for £10, I thought it was worth a gamble as a 'try and get it working' project.

Assuming it sparks, what things should I clean/renew, in logical order of likelihood of faultiness?

The seller hazarded a guess at the carb diaphragm, but I have no idea if his guess was worth paying attention to.

Many thanks for any help.

Al-W

PS Finding a workshop manual online is proving harder than I'd hoped.

This site shows exploded views of various parts, often more help than a
manual IME.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/echo...001001-999999/

Check fuel system for problems, dirt in fuel blocking carb jet,
blocking filter if there is one, or just old fuel.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 04-06-2017, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 10:50:36 PM UTC+1, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 3 Jun 2017 04:18, Al-W wrote:
[...]

Bob, Thank you very much for your reply. That's very helpful, because I have zero past experience of fuel-powered strimmers, and very little experience of 2-strokes in general. I've diagnosed, repaired and rebuilt engines before, but mainly British motorcycle engines - and a long time ago. Anyway, this strimmer looks as though it hasn't had much use, so I'm guessing the fault is something simple, like one of the things you kindly suggested. I've got a massive load of brambles to cut down, so fingers crossed, this machine can be resurrected.

Al
Old 04-06-2017, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Jun 2017 04:18, Al-W wrote:
[...]

Neighbour on the allotments has one and he works professionally as a
lawn man. Looked well made when I took a look. Hope you get it fixed.
Sounds like you also had a misspent youth tinkering with old
motorbikes. :-)
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 05-06-2017, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/06/2017 12:18, Al-W wrote:
I took a chance on an Echo SRM 2010 2-stroke strimmer from a car boot sale. The seller was honest enough to tell me he had trouble getting it running. But for £10, I thought it was worth a gamble as a 'try and get it working' project.

Assuming it sparks, what things should I clean/renew, in logical order of likelihood of faultiness?

The seller hazarded a guess at the carb diaphragm, but I have no idea if his guess was worth paying attention to.

Many thanks for any help.

Al-W

PS Finding a workshop manual online is proving harder than I'd hoped.

Do you have a gas blowtorch? If so try directing gas from it (unlit)
into the air filter whilst pulling the starter cord. It should start and
run briefly on the gas alone. If the carburettor is any good at all It
will continue running on the petrol/oil mix.

Mike

Old 05-06-2017, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/06/2017 12:30, Muddymike wrote:
On 03/06/2017 12:18, Al-W wrote:
[...]

In the old days I would give a squirt of lighter fuel into the chamber,
put the plug back in and try to start, worked if there was a spark.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 16:39:37 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 13:09:09 +0100, David wrote:

In the old days I would give a squirt of lighter fuel into the chamber,
put the plug back in and try to start, worked if there was a spark.

You can also buy ether sprays. Sold to help start diesel engines.

Here is one from Oz named in that reserved way Australians are
renowned for.
http://www.nulon.com.au/imagecached/...B350-large.jpg

It was introduced in the UK about 9 years ago but doesn't seem
available here now.

G.Harman
Old 05-06-2017, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/06/2017 12:18, Al-W wrote:
[...]

You can buy Bradex Easy Start from Motor Factors. I got a can a couple
of months ago from Euro Car Parts. Just spray into the carb through the
air filter.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 05-06-2017, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 2:28:34 PM UTC+1, Bob Hobden wrote:

Sounds like you also had a misspent youth tinkering with old
motorbikes. :-)
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

More like a chapter in my misspent life! ;-)

Al
Old 05-06-2017, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 12:30:21 PM UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
On 03/06/2017 12:18, Al-W wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tip. I know that works; I was using that technique to start my lawnmower for several months (before I twigged that the carburetor bulb needed a more forceful push).

Al-W

Old 05-06-2017, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 16:29:38 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

There are these on Ebay http://tinyurl.com/ycuj4t9o and
http://tinyurl.com/y9uhhfof which claim to start petrol, diesel and
paraffin engines.

What's a paraffin engine?

Another name for an engine that runs on what was commony in the UK
called TVO which stood for Tractor Vapourising Oil.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracto...ng_oil#History

Stopped being manufactured in the early 70's when most tractors that
used it had been replaced by diesel engine ones.

You started them on petrol and when hot enough vapourise it switched
to TVO .
My Dads Fordson had two tanks and once you got the thing going you let
it run all day, if you stopped it then it would cool enough to stop
efficient vapourising but still be too hot to start easily on petrol.
With just a crank handle to start it could be a right pain.

Owners who exhibit/play with old TVO tractors often brew a substitute
from heating oil and some petrol.

G.Harman
Old 14-06-2017, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 6:28:46 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 16:29:38 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

There are these on Ebay http://tinyurl.com/ycuj4t9o and
http://tinyurl.com/y9uhhfof which claim to start petrol, diesel and
paraffin engines.

What's a paraffin engine?

Rolls Royce 'Spey' etc? Not sure if a squirt of Easy Start would get one of those going though. ;-)