Old 08-06-2017, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dorotheanthus bellidiformis (Mesembryanthemum crystallinum)

I have grown some, partly to try as a salad plant, and am thoroughly
confused by the difference between the leaves of what I have and the
descriptions and most pictures. My plants have leaves like:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...num_02_ies.jpg

But they have been grown without water stress, and are therefore
using C3 metabolism. Does anyone know if the leaf shape changed
when they switch to CAM metabolism?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

aka Livingstone Daisy aka Ice Plant. I can't help with your query, but
in 'Mesembs of the World'*, under Dorotheanus, it says that D.
bellidiformis subsp. bellidiformis is extremely variable, which may be
a simpler explanation for the uncharacteristic leaf shape of yours.

Thanks. That could well explain it, very simply. Anyway, grown with
ample water, it has a good texture for salad but next to no taste.
So I need to see what it's like when stressed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
aka Livingstone Daisy aka Ice Plant. I can't help with your query, but
in 'Mesembs of the World'*, under Dorotheanus, it says that D.
bellidiformis subsp. bellidiformis is extremely variable, which may be
a simpler explanation for the uncharacteristic leaf shape of yours.

Thanks. That could well explain it, very simply. Anyway, grown with
ample water, it has a good texture for salad but next to no taste.
So I need to see what it's like when stressed.

IME mesembs in general root pretty easily from cuttings. Whether
that's true of the annual ones I don't know, but you could try a
cutting from the plant in question and after it's rooted and
established, stress it to see if it changes habit.

I have several plants, all much the same, and they will get stressed
at some stage, but it's a good idea of your to do an experiment.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.