GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   potatoes in pots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/214708-potatoes-pots.html)

Stephen[_8_] 14-06-2017 01:06 PM

potatoes in pots

Hello,

I have some potatoes growing in pots. At the moment they seem to be
doing very well. They are in compost and as they have grown I have
added more compost to "earth up" and now the compost is at the top of
the pot.

I have been allowing the rain to water them and I have watered when we
have had dry spells but do I need to be doing anything else? With them
being in a confined space, will I have to fertilise?

If so what should I use and when should I use it?

It's been quite a few years since I grew potatoes so do I need to do
anything else? One or two are flowering: do I need to remove the
flower or can I leave them alone?

How will I know when they are ready to harvest?

Thanks in advance!

Yellow[_3_] 16-06-2017 12:59 AM

potatoes in pots

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 13:06:34 +0100, Stephen
wrote:

Hello,

I have some potatoes growing in pots. At the moment they seem to be
doing very well. They are in compost and as they have grown I have
added more compost to "earth up" and now the compost is at the top of
the pot.

I have been allowing the rain to water them and I have watered when we
have had dry spells but do I need to be doing anything else? With them
being in a confined space, will I have to fertilise?

If so what should I use and when should I use it?

It's been quite a few years since I grew potatoes so do I need to do
anything else? One or two are flowering: do I need to remove the
flower or can I leave them alone?

How will I know when they are ready to harvest?

Thanks in advance!

There was a thread here started by Yellow earlier this month on
growing potatoes in bags, that probably has answers to some of your
questions. See
http://tinyurl.com/y8uo2mva and scroll up and down.

Talking of which, my plants are now in flower so I am hoping new
potatoes are only a short few weeks away.