Old 24-06-2017, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What is happening to my plum tree leaves?

Could anyone kindly tell me what might be happening to the leaves on my plum tree? 99% of the leaves are perforated and some are yellowing. Here is a photo:

http://tinyurl.com/yb89oz2n

The soil is fairly clayey and alkaline. I lightky dug in some bone meal early this spring.

Many thanks for any insights.
Al

Old 24-06-2017, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 12:51:40 PM UTC+1, Al-T wrote:
Could anyone kindly tell me what might be happening to the leaves on my plum tree? 99% of the leaves are perforated and some are yellowing. Here is a photo:

http://tinyurl.com/yb89oz2n

The soil is fairly clayey and alkaline. I lightky dug in some bone meal early this spring.

Many thanks for any insights.
Al

PS... I should mention that I have another, younger plum tree, planted about 12 feet form the affected one, and it is not affected at all. Neither tree produced any blossom this year.

Al-T
Old 24-06-2017, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 12:54:46 PM UTC+1, Al-T wrote:
On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 12:51:40 PM UTC+1, Al-T wrote:
Could anyone kindly tell me what might be happening to the leaves on my plum tree? 99% of the leaves are perforated and some are yellowing. Here is a photo:

http://tinyurl.com/yb89oz2n

The soil is fairly clayey and alkaline. I lightky dug in some bone meal early this spring.

Many thanks for any insights.
Al

PS... I should mention that I have another, younger plum tree, planted about 12 feet form the affected one, and it is not affected at all. Neither tree produced any blossom this year.

Al-T

PPS... The plum tree in question has been supported by very rusty iron stake for about a year, because of windy conditions. Does rust poison trees?

Al-T
Old 29-06-2017, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/06/2017 12:51, Al-T wrote:

Could anyone kindly tell me what might be happening to the leaves on my plum tree? 99% of the leaves are perforated and some are yellowing. Here is a photo:

http://tinyurl.com/yb89oz2n

Not conclusive but it looks like bacterial spot infection to me.

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/tree...bacterial-spot

--
Regards,
Martin Brown