Old 25-06-2017, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cut down extensive brambles, or leave them be?

I own a piece of land (1/4 acre or so), that has become overgrown with brambles. It would be nice to see them cleared. However, I don't plan to use the land for anything in the near future, and I'm wondering if cutting the brambles down would simply stimulate increased new bramble growth. I want to minimize the number of times per year that I need to go at it with a brush-cutter.

Can anyone offer any insights?

Many thanks,
Al-W
Old 25-06-2017, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2017-06-25 10:34:36 +0000, Al-W said:

I own a piece of land (1/4 acre or so), that has become overgrown with
brambles. It would be nice to see them cleared. However, I don't plan
to use the land for anything in the near future, and I'm wondering if
cutting the brambles down would simply stimulate increased new bramble
growth. I want to minimize the number of times per year that I need to
go at it with a brush-cutter.

Can anyone offer any insights?

Many thanks,
Al-W

The brambles are useful to insects and birds.
If you are not using the land, you could let them use it instead as
they have pre-existing rights.

Best option for the brambles is to leave them be.
If that is too horrible to contemplate, eradicate them.

--
Asha
minnies.opcop.org.uk

Old 25-06-2017, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 12:26:34 PM UTC+1, Asha Santon wrote:
On 2017-06-25 10:34:36 +0000, Al-W said:

[...]

Hi Asha,
Thank you for your suggestion. Yes; the wildlife benefits are actually what I have been using as my excuse for not cutting them back for the past few years! I may just leave them alone.
Regards,
Al-W

Old 25-06-2017, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 Jun 2017 12:00, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 03:34:36 -0700 (PDT), Al-W
wrote:

I own a piece of land (1/4 acre or so), that has become overgrown

with brambles. It would be nice to see them cleared. However, I don't
plan to use the land for anything in the near future, and I'm wondering
if cutting the brambles down would simply stimulate increased new
bramble growth. I want to minimize the number of times per year that I
need to go at it with a brush-cutter.

Can anyone offer any insights?

Brambles that are just cut off at the base will re-sprout. To remove
them entirely, you need to dig up the root, at least the central bit
that the shoots emerge from. IME, long side roots don't seem to
re-sprout without that central 'bowl'. Alternatively, glyphosate is
effective. After cutting down the old brambles, spray it onto the
youngish shoots when they've got to about 12" or so.

Actually you don't need to dig them out once cut down, just keep mowing
them to the ground and they will die in a season. It's how I cleared a
large bed of them next to our old allotment.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 25-06-2017, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 1:24:00 PM UTC+1, Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Hi Bob, Thank you for the helpful suggestions. Unfortunately, the ground is too rough and lumpy to mow. I was considering burning the whole site during a summer drought period. A military flame-thrower would come in handy...

Al-W

Old 25-06-2017, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Al-W
writes

I own a piece of land (1/4 acre or so), that has become overgrown with
brambles. It would be nice to see them cleared. However, I don't plan
to use the land for anything in the near future, and I'm wondering if
cutting the brambles down would simply stimulate increased new bramble
growth. I want to minimize the number of times per year that I need to
go at it with a brush-cutter.

Can anyone offer any insights?

Why not harvest the berries? They will soon be in season. You can use
them in pies, make wine, etc.

My late wife couldn't take red wine, either as a drink or in cooking. So
instead of using red wine in a boeuf bourguignon, I would add blackberry
wine.

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 25-06-2017, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/17 11:34, Al-W wrote:
I own a piece of land (1/4 acre or so), that has become overgrown with brambles. It would be nice to see them cleared. However, I don't plan to use the land for anything in the near future, and I'm wondering if cutting the brambles down would simply stimulate increased new bramble growth. I want to minimize the number of times per year that I need to go at it with a brush-cutter.

Can anyone offer any insights?

Many thanks,
Al-W

Goats will clear brambles. Then bring in some pigs to root through it to
get rid of the worst of the lumps and bumps.

--

Jeff
Old 25-06-2017, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/2017 15:35, David Rance wrote:
In message , Al-W
writes

I own a piece of land (1/4 acre or so), that has become overgrown with
brambles. It would be nice to see them cleared. However, I don't plan
to use the land for anything in the near future, and I'm wondering if
cutting the brambles down would simply stimulate increased new bramble
growth. I want to minimize the number of times per year that I need to
go at it with a brush-cutter.

Can anyone offer any insights?

Why not harvest the berries? They will soon be in season. You can use
them in pies, make wine, etc.

My late wife couldn't take red wine, either as a drink or in cooking. So
instead of using red wine in a boeuf bourguignon, I would add blackberry
wine.

David

I would spray with Brushwood killer, then when they have died off you
could burn the dead stems. If they have been there for several years as
you seem to imply then you will only be able to spray in about 10 ft at
the time.
If you leave them then you make things worse for all surounding land as
the birds eat the berries and then drop the seed where ever they perch
or even fly over.
As for keeping them for the fruit, you need very long arms to reach into
the centre of a 1/4 acre plot.

Old 26-06-2017, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris Hogg
writes

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 22:53:32 +0100, David
wrote:

In message , Al-W
writes

I own a piece of land (1/4 acre or so), that has become overgrown with
brambles. It would be nice to see them cleared. However, I don't plan
to use the land for anything in the near future, and I'm wondering if
cutting the brambles down would simply stimulate increased new bramble
growth. I want to minimize the number of times per year that I need to
go at it with a brush-cutter.

Can anyone offer any insights?

If you leave them then you make things worse for all surounding land as
the birds eat the berries and then drop the seed where ever they perch
or even fly over.

+1
We live in the country, surrounded by hedgerows full of brambles. One
of the commonest weeds in the garden are bramble seedlings. They come
up everywhere, but especially under shrubs where the birds perch.

Oh, I do agree because I do have the same problem here in France. The
seedlings drive me mad! But if I get rid of my brambles I'm still going
to get seeds from my neighbours so I'm still going to have the problem.

However I am very fond of the fruit and I suppose I'm prepared to put up
with this inconvenience. When I suggested to the OP that he harvest the
fruit I really meant for this year since it will be only a few weeks
away and it seems a shame to throw away something for free where you
would pay quite a lot for them in the supermarkets. As you say, the
birds will be spreading the seeds which, presumably they have been doing
for many years since!

Well, we've warned the OP. It's now his decision!

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 26-06-2017, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 10:53:35 PM UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the suggestions. Regarding brushwood killer, I'd need a lot of it. Can anyone recommend a cost-effective one to buy?

Many thanks,
Al-W

Old 28-06-2017, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/2017 17:04, Al-W wrote:
[...]

Year round blackberries from the freezer. Joy!
Old 29-06-2017, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/2017 11:34, Al-W wrote:
I own a piece of land (1/4 acre or so), that has become overgrown
with brambles. It would be nice to see them cleared. However, I don't
plan to use the land for anything in the near future, and I'm
wondering if cutting the brambles down would simply stimulate
increased new bramble growth. I want to minimize the number of times
per year that I need to go at it with a brush-cutter.

Can anyone offer any insights?

I have done it more than once on derelict abandoned overgrown land.

My solution is hit it with glyphosate early in the season. Wait until it
is tinder dry. Cut a couple of fire breaks - especially against hedges
and fences and then torch it. This pretty much sees off all the surface
weeds as well as brambles and grass. The blackened earth make sit easy
to see any new weeds resprouting.

IME Buttercup, holly and ivy may survive this.

I wouldn't bother clearing it until you are ready to replant or put it
to good use. If you wait a couple of weeks you can make bramble jelly!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 02-07-2017, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 11:34:37 AM UTC+1, Al-W wrote:
I own a piece of land (1/4 acre or so), that has become overgrown with brambles. It would be nice to see them cleared. However, I don't plan to use the land for anything in the near future, and I'm wondering if cutting the brambles down would simply stimulate increased new bramble growth. I want to minimize the number of times per year that I need to go at it with a brush-cutter.

Can anyone offer any insights?

Many thanks,
Al-W

Greetings all, first time on here for ages due to pressure of work. Some of you don't have a clue as to just how time consuming being retired is ;-)

I 'acquired' a piece of land of some half an acre a few years back in a similar state. What we did was ..........

Hack down all undergrowth with a riphook and have bonfires

Go over it all with a Roto Scythe

Then a cultivator

Then let the "grass" grow.

Let it out to a Horse owner for grazing

Get planning permission for a pair of houses.

Sell

..