Old 25-06-2017, 07:25 PM
Registered User

Default Trenched potatos

I've set all this year's crop away in trenches.

I bedded them in with my own home made compost and I use fertilizer in the form of cow manure dissolved in water. Basically a couple of trowel fulls of manure in an old pedal bin bucket and filled with water, then left a few days for the manure to dissolve in the water.

Now its occurred to me the best way to water the trenches is to hoe a channel in the along the center of the hilled up trenches so when I water, its soaks down on top of the potatoes rather then running down the sides of the hill.
Old 25-06-2017, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 19:25:04 +0100, Vegegrower
wrote:

I've set all this year's crop away in trenches.

I bedded them in with my own home made compost and I use fertilizer in
the form of cow manure dissolved in water. Basically a couple of trowel
fulls of manure in an old pedal bin bucket and filled with water, then
left a few days for the manure to dissolve in the water.

Now its occurred to me the best way to water the trenches is to hoe a
channel in the along the center of the hilled up trenches so when I
water, its soaks down on top of the potatoes rather then running down
the sides of the hill.

Is it too late to plant potatoes?

I bought some compost [Lidl] and a couple of approx 25l garden pots
with the intention of having a go.

Looked on Ebay for seed potatoes and it seems that I should have done
this in April.

I thought compost was a sort of manure, that probably explains why a
similar attempt a few years back wasn't a success.

I would like to have a go if there are any varieties that can be
planted now. They would be in a shady area also, so I suppose this
wouldn't help?

Regards

AB
Old 25-06-2017, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Just remember that the roots are at the bottom of the plants, potatoes
are formed from shoots going up the stem, so you want the water and food
at the bottom not the top.
Old 25-06-2017, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Many thanks, I think I can take that on board. As you are probably
aware, I am not too good at deducing the type of food. This is a
variable I can address at a later point.

Incidentally, I had a Border Collie that I used to feed from a bowl on
the floor, it was quite rewarding for both of us when he leapt
"airside" after his "flying" Gravy Bones.

The time of planting is something I have a little control over, but
from my brief examination of the theory, I seem to be too late?

The thread seems to suggest that I may be in with a chance? I'll ask
the vendor to see what he thinks, but for a fivers worth, he may not
be to pushed to give a rapid response.

Regards

AB

Old 26-06-2017, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I've never grown potatoes, but it seems to me you'll have two problems
to deal with. Firstly, they like sun, and you said they'll be growing in
a shady area, which isn't good.

Secondly, and perhaps more important, you'll be starting them off at the
peak of the blight season. You might be able to get round this by
growing them in a greenhouse, or at least under cover.

--

Jeff

Old 26-06-2017, 07:33 AM
Registered User

ref: you want the water and food at the bottom not the top

Indeed, the roots need the water.

I plant my potatoes down to a spades depth so when the hilling up is done, I figured that hoeing a trench in along the center of the hilled row and filling it with water would concentrate the water down to the roots.

If you just spray water on the hills, it runs down the side and less gets to the roots.

I appreciate it late for planting but I'll see how growing goes in the warmer months.
Old 26-06-2017, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Many thanks.

I don't have a greenhouse. I may put them on the shed roof.

I never thought about blight, I have ordered some seed potatoes from
Ebay yesterday, so I'll see what happens.

I also ordered some fertiliser.

I did try growing some a few years back but they were not too good,
maybe because of lack of fertiliser, water or both.

At least these will be grown at home and not 400 miles away, so I
should be around to pamper them a bit this time.

AB