Old 26-06-2017, 06:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Large tub/tank to soak large pots - X-post

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 15:15:50 +0000, David wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 16:06:09 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Kiddie paddling pool every time. cheap and replaceable.
Brian

Now looking for a fold up (not blow up) one and Argos has the ideal one
but out of stock everywhere.

It may not be the best time of year to shop for a paddling pool.

Then again demand may ease later in the week when it cools down and
starts raining.

Chanced across a small blow up one in HomeBase for £4.99 which seemed
worth a punt.

Blow it up, put some plastic sheeting inside for additional protection and
Robert is your Father's Brother.

Probably stand it on plastic as well to reduce the chance of a puncture
from below.

We shall see how long it lasts.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 26-06-2017, 07:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 15:31:42 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

On 26/06/2017 14:38, Muddymike wrote:
On 26/06/2017 14:22, David wrote:
I have some large pots with shrubs, trees, etc.

I would like to be able to stand them in a container of water so that
I can thoroughly soak them when required. Needs to be deep enough to
come a reasonable distance up the post so water is likely to soak in
quickly.

A yellow builders bucket is just too small; almost worked but then the
corner of a square pot split it.

One obvious option is a water tank designed for the loft.

Another would be a kiddie paddling pool.

Main requirement is for a pot which is 16"x16" (40 cm x 40 cm).

Any budget friendly suggestions, please?

TIA

Dave R

I have one of these
http://www.tannertrading.co.uk/buckets-tubs/feed-skip/

It would be good for what you need.

Mike

You couldn't fit a 40x40 cm pot in that, well not by my maths.
You would need something at least 57 CM in dia.

Yeah. Need to work from the diagonal.

Well spotted.

We have a wide shallow one just like this

http://www.tannertrading.co.uk/bucke...lexible-large-
shallow/

used for paddling, washing dogs, wetsuits, potatoes, holding pen for
fish

I'd suggest a lower height will be easier to lift heavy pots into

Janet
Old 26-06-2017, 07:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 18:46:47 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 26/06/17 14:22, David wrote:
I have some large pots with shrubs, trees, etc.

I would like to be able to stand them in a container of water so that I
can thoroughly soak them when required. Needs to be deep enough to come
a reasonable distance up the post so water is likely to soak in
quickly.

A yellow builders bucket is just too small; almost worked but then the
corner of a square pot split it.

One obvious option is a water tank designed for the loft.

Another would be a kiddie paddling pool.

Main requirement is for a pot which is 16"x16" (40 cm x 40 cm).

Any budget friendly suggestions, please?

TIA

Dave R

Why do you need to immerse the pot? Have you considered how much a 40 cm
pot filled with soaking wet soil and the tree/shrub itself will weigh?
And if you are using anything other than a plastic pot the total weight
will probably be well in excess of 40 kg.

I cannot think of any well-established tree/shrub which needs to be
immersed to water it. A gentle watering from a watering can rose, or
spray from a hose for a few minutes (perhaps after use of a wetting
agent as previously suggested) will provide enough water to soak the
soil in the pot. Why not consider a daily timed drip-watering system?
Then you could even go away for a few days and the pots would get
watered.

I have a few pots which benefit from a really good soaking.
Black Bamboo and Buddleia mainly.

It is easier to dunk them every now and then because it is a pain to keep
doing slow additions of water.

I noted how much better they did last year when spring and early summer
were both very wet.

The ratio of root to soil in the case of the bamboo is quite low.
I did pot it on but it seems to become pot bound very quickly.
Not the time of year to split it, either.

A drip water system might be a long term solution apart from the location
of the water and the plants, but I need a short term solution.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 26-06-2017, 07:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote in message ...
I have some large pots with shrubs, trees, etc.

I would like to be able to stand them in a container of water so that I
can thoroughly soak them when required.

If this outer container is going to be a permanent fixture, then unless
you bale it out after every watering, then all you'll succeed in
doing is effectively drown the roots. Which need oxygen.

Overwatering allied with poor drainage and the drowned roots
which resulkt are probably the biggest single cause of death in
potted plants of whatever size.,

You don't say what medium these tubs contain. But all tubs
can be watered from above, whatever the potting medium only
it might not aways be possible in the one visit.
The first one or two light waterings should simply wet the top surtface
sufficient that it should expand the medium such that the third and
subsequent waterings won't run straight down the sides of the compost
and out of the borrom of the pot..
This process may need to be spread over a couple of hours
such that its only when the medium is thoroughly soaked that
water will seep out of the bottom and you can be sure the job
is done.

michael adams

Old 26-06-2017, 08:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
DJC DJC is offline

On 26/06/17 14:22, David wrote:
I have some large pots with shrubs, trees, etc.

I would like to be able to stand them in a container of water so that I
can thoroughly soak them when required. Needs to be deep enough to come a
reasonable distance up the post so water is likely to soak in quickly.

A yellow builders bucket is just too small; almost worked but then the
corner of a square pot split it.

One obvious option is a water tank designed for the loft.

Another would be a kiddie paddling pool.

Main requirement is for a pot which is 16"x16" (40 cm x 40 cm).

Any budget friendly suggestions, please?

Gorilla Tub/TubTrug or similar

TIA

Dave R

--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Old 28-06-2017, 08:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In message , David
writes

Chanced across a small blow up one in HomeBase for £4.99 which seemed
worth a punt.

There are a million blow up pools available via eBay. Sounds like a
good idea, as you could stand the pot on the base then inflate the sides
around it, which would avoid having to lift the pot over the inflated
sides.

My suggestion was going to be a rigid cement mixing tray. More
expensive, and fairly shallow, but also useful for other jobs - like
mixing cement :-)
--
Graeme
Old 29-06-2017, 02:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 08:32:22 +0100, Graeme wrote:

In message , David
writes

Chanced across a small blow up one in HomeBase for £4.99 which seemed
worth a punt.

There are a million blow up pools available via eBay. Sounds like a
good idea, as you could stand the pot on the base then inflate the sides
around it, which would avoid having to lift the pot over the inflated
sides.

My suggestion was going to be a rigid cement mixing tray. More
expensive, and fairly shallow, but also useful for other jobs - like
mixing cement :-)

Have one of those - it is a bit too shallow to get good immersion.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 30-06-2017, 09:26 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 08:32:22 +0100, Graeme wrote:

In message , David
writes

Chanced across a small blow up one in HomeBase for £4.99 which seemed
worth a punt.

There are a million blow up pools available via eBay. Sounds like a
good idea, as you could stand the pot on the base then inflate the sides
around it, which would avoid having to lift the pot over the inflated
sides.

My suggestion was going to be a rigid cement mixing tray. More
expensive, and fairly shallow, but also useful for other jobs - like
mixing cement :-)

Have one of those - it is a bit too shallow to get good immersion.

Why do you need to immerse them ?

Do you not wonder how everybody else with large pots manages to water them
successfully without having to resort to immersing them ?

There are situarions, cacti which fill the entire pot, where there's no
alternative. But they're only watered three or four times a year at most.
And are thoroughly drained each time not left standing in water.

Standing posts in water is a bad idea for reasons already given.

Basically it takes time. If the compost is thoroughly dried out then maybe
you will need to water them, over a couple of days. Lightly water the top
and when that's eventually soaked in the compost will expand to the
sides and water will no longer run down the sides between the pot
and the compost and straight out the bottom. This takes time
as you will learn with experience.

Similarly if you're growing plants in large pots, the surface of the soil
or compost may well dry out even go rock hard, while underneath its
still moist. Basically pots need to be watered when the plants need it
not when (it may well look as if) the soil needs it. You can tell this
if you're lucky by examining the leaves. Basically if the leaves and maybe
stems aren't showing initial signs of wilting - going soft (leaves)
or stringy (stems) but remain rigid then in those plants the pots
don't need watering. I say if you're lucky because in many waxy
leaved plants camellias, rodos etc this is almost impossible
to tell. In which case you might need to splash out on a moisture
meter.

But somehow I don't think you want to know this. Like a lot
of people posting questions on Usenet you already know all the
answers, you've got your "quick fix" to your problem and anyone
telling you any different is already wasting their time.

Such is life, I suppose

michael adams

Old 30-06-2017, 05:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 09:26:07 +0100, michael adams wrote:

snip

But somehow I don't think you want to know this. Like a lot of people
posting questions on Usenet you already know all the answers, you've got
your "quick fix" to your problem and anyone telling you any different is
already wasting their time.

Such is life, I suppose

Yes, such is life.

I have many years experience of gardening (which does not make me right,
of course) but I have found out that in certain situations it is effective
to immerse a pot in water.

This is the second time in this thread you have posted much the same
advice.

So it is debatable whose time is being wasted.

I was asking for suggestions on how to immerse a pot to give it a good
soaking.

Others have been very helpful.

You, less so.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 30-06-2017, 06:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 09:26:07 +0100, michael adams wrote:

snip

But somehow I don't think you want to know this. Like a lot of people
posting questions on Usenet you already know all the answers, you've got
your "quick fix" to your problem and anyone telling you any different is
already wasting their time.

Such is life, I suppose

Yes, such is life.

I have many years experience of gardening

Such that you were also asking for advice on which paint is suitable for painting over
creosote.

You didn't seem to have much luck with that one either, by the looks of things
did you ?

michael adams

Old 01-07-2017, 02:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 09:26:07 +0100, michael adams wrote:

snip

But somehow I don't think you want to know this. Like a lot of people
posting questions on Usenet you already know all the answers, you've
got your "quick fix" to your problem and anyone telling you any
different is already wasting their time.

Such is life, I suppose

Yes, such is life.

I have many years experience of gardening

Such that you were also asking for advice on which paint is suitable for
painting over creosote.

You didn't seem to have much luck with that one either, by the looks of
things did you ?

michael adams

Bitchy much?

Ordered all your kiddie's paddling pools yet ?

Maybe when they're all installed, alongside the railways sleepers, you could
post a picture of your garden on here.

michael adams

Old 02-07-2017, 12:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Mmm....yes...bitchy very much!

---

Old 03-07-2017, 10:35 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote in message
[...]

No. Just trying to be helpful.

Having given the matter a bit of thought, given that you can't paint the railway
sleepers as they've been saturated in creosote, maybe you could paint the
kiddie's paddling pools with creosote instead.

Then at least they'd all match.

michael adams

Okay I've got this nice juicy mealworm - I think I'll soak him in the water a little bit Paddy's Pig[_5_] Garden Photos 0 29-09-2010 02:20 AM
Lots of small soak aways kitey United Kingdom 3 02-05-2008 09:34 AM
Splash or soak? Sacha United Kingdom 1 13-04-2006 03:40 PM
Buried soak-away cover: planting suggestions please Chris Hogg United Kingdom 3 27-09-2004 10:15 PM
Longest time to soak roses? Jean S. Barto Roses 7 08-04-2003 05:44 PM