Old 26-06-2017, 02:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Large tub/tank to soak large pots - X-post

I have some large pots with shrubs, trees, etc.

I would like to be able to stand them in a container of water so that I
can thoroughly soak them when required. Needs to be deep enough to come a
reasonable distance up the post so water is likely to soak in quickly.

A yellow builders bucket is just too small; almost worked but then the
corner of a square pot split it.

One obvious option is a water tank designed for the loft.

Another would be a kiddie paddling pool.

Main requirement is for a pot which is 16"x16" (40 cm x 40 cm).

Any budget friendly suggestions, please?

TIA

Dave R

---

Old 26-06-2017, 02:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/2017 14:22, David wrote:
I have some large pots with shrubs, trees, etc.

I would like to be able to stand them in a container of water so that I
can thoroughly soak them when required. Needs to be deep enough to come a
reasonable distance up the post so water is likely to soak in quickly.

A yellow builders bucket is just too small; almost worked but then the
corner of a square pot split it.

One obvious option is a water tank designed for the loft.

Another would be a kiddie paddling pool.

Main requirement is for a pot which is 16"x16" (40 cm x 40 cm).

Any budget friendly suggestions, please?

TIA

Dave R

I have one of these
http://www.tannertrading.co.uk/buckets-tubs/feed-skip/

It would be good for what you need.

Mike
Old 26-06-2017, 03:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/2017 14:22, David wrote:

Any budget friendly suggestions, please?

Also consider a wetting agent and watering them from above. In order to
get water into a dry pot I sometimes use a couple of drops of washing up
liquid to a watering can of water. Possible not recommended for
continual use

You can purchase horticultural wetting agents

http://www.viresco-uk.com/informatio...tingagents.asp

Random example (possibly not the best product or price)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hydroburst-...Q4E4PB5BKBHDDX

Old 26-06-2017, 03:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David wrote:

I have some large pots with shrubs, trees, etc.

I would like to be able to stand them in a container of water so that I
can thoroughly soak them when required. Needs to be deep enough to come a
reasonable distance up the post so water is likely to soak in quickly.

I have had a plasterer's bath for about 20 years - sits propped behind
the greenhouse when not in use. Have used it for a dozen different
purposes, one of which might even have been mixing plaster. Invaluable,
and fits your bill perfectly I'd have thought.

Cheers
J.
Old 26-06-2017, 03:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 14:38:39 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

On 26/06/2017 14:22, David wrote:
I have some large pots with shrubs, trees, etc.

I would like to be able to stand them in a container of water so that I
can thoroughly soak them when required. Needs to be deep enough to come
a reasonable distance up the post so water is likely to soak in
quickly.

A yellow builders bucket is just too small; almost worked but then the
corner of a square pot split it.

One obvious option is a water tank designed for the loft.

Another would be a kiddie paddling pool.

Main requirement is for a pot which is 16"x16" (40 cm x 40 cm).

Any budget friendly suggestions, please?

TIA

Dave R

I have one of these
http://www.tannertrading.co.uk/buckets-tubs/feed-skip/

It would be good for what you need.

Mike

Thanks - something for feeding large hungry animals should probably have
the capacity.

Now to find the nearest farm supplier.

---

Old 26-06-2017, 03:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 15:16:29 +0100, Another John wrote:

In article ,
David wrote:

I have some large pots with shrubs, trees, etc.

I would like to be able to stand them in a container of water so that I
can thoroughly soak them when required. Needs to be deep enough to come
a reasonable distance up the post so water is likely to soak in
quickly.

I have had a plasterer's bath for about 20 years - sits propped behind
the greenhouse when not in use. Have used it for a dozen different
purposes, one of which might even have been mixing plaster. Invaluable,
and fits your bill perfectly I'd have thought.

Cheers J.

Intresting.

Looked it up at Travis Perkins and they want £40.

Probably find it cheaper elsewhere.

---

Old 26-06-2017, 03:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 14:18:19 +0000, David wrote:

[...]

Just noticed it is 41 cms wide so barely large enough.

I would prefer a bit of extra room.

---

Old 26-06-2017, 03:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/2017 14:38, Muddymike wrote:
On 26/06/2017 14:22, David wrote:
I have some large pots with shrubs, trees, etc.

I would like to be able to stand them in a container of water so that I
can thoroughly soak them when required. Needs to be deep enough to come a
reasonable distance up the post so water is likely to soak in quickly.

A yellow builders bucket is just too small; almost worked but then the
corner of a square pot split it.

One obvious option is a water tank designed for the loft.

Another would be a kiddie paddling pool.

Main requirement is for a pot which is 16"x16" (40 cm x 40 cm).

Any budget friendly suggestions, please?

TIA

Dave R

I have one of these
http://www.tannertrading.co.uk/buckets-tubs/feed-skip/

It would be good for what you need.

Mike

You couldn't fit a 40x40 cm pot in that, well not by my maths.
You would need something at least 57 CM in dia.

Old 26-06-2017, 03:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 15:31:42 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

[...]

Yeah. Need to work from the diagonal.

Well spotted.

---

Old 26-06-2017, 04:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/2017 14:22, David wrote:
I have some large pots with shrubs, trees, etc.

I would like to be able to stand them in a container of water so that I
can thoroughly soak them when required. Needs to be deep enough to come a
reasonable distance up the post so water is likely to soak in quickly.

A yellow builders bucket is just too small; almost worked but then the
corner of a square pot split it.

One obvious option is a water tank designed for the loft.

Another would be a kiddie paddling pool.

Main requirement is for a pot which is 16"x16" (40 cm x 40 cm).

Any budget friendly suggestions, please?

TIA

Dave R

Wooden frame with plastic sheet over it? I bought a couple of meters of
4m wide heavy-duty polythene sheet a while back for £5.40 inclusive of
delivery, and used it with a couple of courses of bricks laid on the
ground to make a tank for leak-testing a radiator. Not sure how durable
it'd be long term, though.

Old 26-06-2017, 04:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 16:06:09 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Kiddie paddling pool every time. cheap and replaceable.
Brian

Now looking for a fold up (not blow up) one and Argos has the ideal one
but out of stock everywhere.

It may not be the best time of year to shop for a paddling pool.

Then again demand may ease later in the week when it cools down and starts
raining.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 26-06-2017, 05:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

David formulated the question :
I have some large pots with shrubs, trees, etc.

I would like to be able to stand them in a container of water so that I
can thoroughly soak them when required. Needs to be deep enough to come a
reasonable distance up the post so water is likely to soak in quickly.

A yellow builders bucket is just too small; almost worked but then the
corner of a square pot split it.

One obvious option is a water tank designed for the loft.

Another would be a kiddie paddling pool.

Main requirement is for a pot which is 16"x16" (40 cm x 40 cm).

Any budget friendly suggestions, please?

TIA

Dave R

Old plastic dustbin, old wheelie bin, a rigid pond liner, dig a hole,
line it with plastic and fill with water.
Old 26-06-2017, 05:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/17 14:22, David wrote:
I have some large pots with shrubs, trees, etc.

I would like to be able to stand them in a container of water so that I
can thoroughly soak them when required. Needs to be deep enough to come a
reasonable distance up the post so water is likely to soak in quickly.

A yellow builders bucket is just too small; almost worked but then the
corner of a square pot split it.

One obvious option is a water tank designed for the loft.

Another would be a kiddie paddling pool.

Main requirement is for a pot which is 16"x16" (40 cm x 40 cm).

Any budget friendly suggestions, please?

sounds like the sort of plastc basin in my sink. about a quid

TIA

Dave R

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

― Confucius
Old 26-06-2017, 06:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/17 14:22, David wrote:
I have some large pots with shrubs, trees, etc.

I would like to be able to stand them in a container of water so that I
can thoroughly soak them when required. Needs to be deep enough to come a
reasonable distance up the post so water is likely to soak in quickly.

A yellow builders bucket is just too small; almost worked but then the
corner of a square pot split it.

One obvious option is a water tank designed for the loft.

Another would be a kiddie paddling pool.

Main requirement is for a pot which is 16"x16" (40 cm x 40 cm).

Any budget friendly suggestions, please?

TIA

Dave R

Why do you need to immerse the pot? Have you considered how much a 40 cm
pot filled with soaking wet soil and the tree/shrub itself will weigh?
And if you are using anything other than a plastic pot the total weight
will probably be well in excess of 40 kg.

I cannot think of any well-established tree/shrub which needs to be
immersed to water it. A gentle watering from a watering can rose, or
spray from a hose for a few minutes (perhaps after use of a wetting
agent as previously suggested) will provide enough water to soak the
soil in the pot. Why not consider a daily timed drip-watering system?
Then you could even go away for a few days and the pots would get watered.

--

Jeff

Okay I've got this nice juicy mealworm - I think I'll soak him in the water a little bit Paddy's Pig[_5_] Garden Photos 0 29-09-2010 02:20 AM
Lots of small soak aways kitey United Kingdom 3 02-05-2008 09:34 AM
Splash or soak? Sacha United Kingdom 1 13-04-2006 03:40 PM
Buried soak-away cover: planting suggestions please Chris Hogg United Kingdom 3 27-09-2004 10:15 PM
Longest time to soak roses? Jean S. Barto Roses 7 08-04-2003 05:44 PM