Old 03-07-2017, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tool Advice

My mum gave me a cheque for my birthday and there are a couple of
things I need - advice please.

Small pruning saw (I have a bow saw - this is for bits too big for the
loppers)

Long handled shears - for around shrubs, trees, that sort of thing. Not
edging ones, which I have

Scythe.

Which brands, and how much do I need to pay?

Andy
Old 04-07-2017, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Jul 2017 21:36, Vir Campestris wrote:
My mum gave me a cheque for my birthday and there are a couple of
things I need - advice please.

Small pruning saw (I have a bow saw - this is for bits too big for the
loppers)

I believe Felco do one which must be good, however I use a Wolf
Multitool one so with a short handle it's hand held or with a long
handle I can reach tall branches.

Long handled shears - for around shrubs, trees, that sort of thing. Not
edging ones, which I have

Wolf do those too and I believe they are telescopic which is useful IME.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 04-07-2017, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 03 Jul 2017 23:03:40 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

On 3 Jul 2017 21:36, Vir Campestris wrote:
My mum gave me a cheque for my birthday and there are a couple of
things I need - advice please.

Small pruning saw (I have a bow saw - this is for bits too big for the
loppers)

I believe Felco do one which must be good, however I use a Wolf
Multitool one so with a short handle it's hand held or with a long
handle I can reach tall branches.

I'd definitely go for WolfGarten tools. You can also get an extending
handle for them as well as many different types of 'head'

My old pruner head is now some 40 years old and is still handy for
smaller jobs though I treated myself to a new pruner head about 5 years
ago for use on high branches etc. The new one came with a very short
handle (a bit shorter than the length of the saw blade and this is now on
the old saw blade)

WolfGarten are dearer than a lot of the competition but my own experience
suggests they are well worth it.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/07/2017 23:03, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 3 Jul 2017 21:36, Vir Campestris wrote:
My mum gave me a cheque for my birthday and there are a couple of
things I need - advice please.

Small pruning saw (I have a bow saw - this is for bits too big for the
loppers)

I believe Felco do one which must be good, however I use a Wolf
Multitool one so with a short handle it's hand held or with a long
handle I can reach tall branches.

+1

I have the rival Gardena system but I wouldn't recommend it as the screw
way the tools are held in place is less reliable than with the Wolf kit.

Long handled shears - for around shrubs, trees, that sort of thing. Not
edging ones, which I have

Wolf do those too and I believe they are telescopic which is useful IME.

+1 for a telescopic option.
Aldi/Lidl had some not bad ones for a low price a month or two back.

Scythe.

Which brands, and how much do I need to pay?

Are you sure you want a scythe? Quite a dangerous hand tool!
I do have a small sickle which does some jobs more easily and with a lot
less faff than a strimmer (which invariably won't start jams its cord).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 04-07-2017, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

OK, everyone, Wolf it is... Thanks.

On 04/07/2017 11:07, Martin Brown wrote:
Are you sure you want a scythe? Quite a dangerous hand tool!

My limited experience is that they are not that dangerous for the user.

But you do not want to be anywhere near anyone else using one...

I do have a small sickle which does some jobs more easily and with a lot
less faff than a strimmer (which invariably won't start jams its cord).

Strimmer is off the list. I've had one, and didn't like it that much.

Andy