Old 10-07-2017, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing one's own linseed

I'm wondering about the possibility of growing flax to produce linseed seeds for eating.
Has anyone tried this or found a good source of seeds which will germinate?
Janet G
Old 10-07-2017, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2017-07-10 09:31:59 +0000, Janet G said:

I'm wondering about the possibility of growing flax to produce linseed
seeds for eating.
Has anyone tried this or found a good source of seeds which will germinate?
Janet G

I haven't the space to do this but the seeds (for growing flax for seed
rather than fibre) are available pretty much everywhere.

--
Asha
minnies.opcop.org.uk

Old 10-07-2017, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet G wrote:
I'm wondering about the possibility of growing flax to produce linseed
seeds for eating.
Has anyone tried this or found a good source of seeds which will germinate?

Are you in a flax-growing area? If so, there are fields full just
at present ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-07-2017, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you for suggestions. I found a good source from a company called Heirloom and Perennial Ltd so will be trying a flax patch next year.
I live on the fens where there's a wide range of vegetable and other crops but I haven't seen the attractive blue of flax locally for quite a few years now. I wonder what areas it's favoured in as an agricultural crop.
Janet G

Old 20-07-2017, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 23:41:35 Janet G wrote:

Thank you for suggestions. I found a good source from a company called
Heirloom and Perennial Ltd so will be trying a flax patch next year.
I live on the fens where there's a wide range of vegetable and other
crops but I haven't seen the attractive blue of flax locally for quite
a few years now. I wonder what areas it's favoured in as an
agricultural crop.

I've seen the occasional field of flax on the Caen Plain in Normandy and
none in the area where I live in Berkshire. I think it's just not a
popular choice, no doubt influenced by the lack of incentives from the
EU.

David

Old 20-07-2017, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet G wrote:
Thank you for suggestions. I found a good source from a company called
Heirloom and Perennial Ltd so will be trying a flax patch next year.
I live on the fens where there's a wide range of vegetable and other
crops but I haven't seen the attractive blue of flax locally for quite a
few years now. I wonder what areas it's favoured in as an agricultural
crop.

Curious, because it's grown around Cambridge. Not a lot, but there
are fields of it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.