Old 20-07-2017, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Roses question

I have some roses that are obviously climbers - they have something to
climb up and just seem to keep going. I have some others, though, that
I'm not sure about. They seem to grow straight up about five feet, with
very few leaves, thinner than usual stems, and then flower high up and
flop about rather annoyingly. Are they climbers in the wrong place?
Once they've flowered, they don't get any higher. They are also in
fairly shady places, but having moved one of them, I found it didn't
make any difference. It also doesn't seem to matter how hard I prune
them - they don't get any leafier, and won't flower until they are quite
high.