GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What is the plant on the left? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/214815-what-plant-left.html)

Racquel Darrian 21-07-2017 02:27 PM

What is the plant on the left?

What is the big plant on the left?

It looks like there are some either side of the door too.

https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset..._720_noupscale

TIA

Bob Hobden[_6_] 21-07-2017 03:29 PM

What is the plant on the left?

On 21 Jul 2017 15:03, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 14:27:17 +0100, Racquel Darrian
. wrote:

What is the big plant on the left?

It looks like there are some either side of the door too.

https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset..._720_noupscale

TIA

Could be a palm, but I'm more inclined to suggest Cycas revoluta, aka
Japanese sago palm http://tinyurl.com/y6twxfxd , not a true palm but a
cycad. Cycads are a very old family of plants, dating back some 280
million years, and cycads were probably eaten by dinosaurs (but not
these particular specimens!) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycad

See here for images http://tinyurl.com/y8vtdegg

But it's not hardy: H2 on the RHS web site is 1-5°C, so only really
suitable for greenhouse cultivation, or frost-free or very mild
locations. Where was that picture ta

Agree, and I wouldn't chance it here despite have some tenderish plants
survive outside.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

David Rance[_3_] 22-07-2017 09:41 AM

What is the plant on the left?

. wrote:

What is the big plant on the left?

It looks like there are some either side of the door too.

https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset...c7863.jpeg?cac
he=kejly6gub6&ops=scalefit_720_noupscale

TIA

Could be a palm, but I'm more inclined to suggest Cycas revoluta, aka
Japanese sago palm http://tinyurl.com/y6twxfxd , not a true palm but a
cycad. Cycads are a very old family of plants, dating back some 280
million years, and cycads were probably eaten by dinosaurs (but not
these particular specimens!) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycad

See here for images http://tinyurl.com/y8vtdegg

But it's not hardy: H2 on the RHS web site is 1-5°C, so only really
suitable for greenhouse cultivation, or frost-free or very mild
locations. Where was that picture taken?

Here it is, in Richmond, Texas, so plenty mild enough for a cycad. You
can buy the property for a mere $1.275M
https://www.trulia.com/property/3096...t-Dr-Richmond-
TX-77406

Interesting that estate agents in the US advertise a house with photos
showing complete clutter in every room. The complete opposite to the UK!

Does the house come with all that mess?

David