Old 28-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Registered User

Default Countax A20-50 won't start may be seat related

Hi, I'm a newbie, living near the Kent coast. We have about an acre of garden that was a blank canvas apart from some old willows, a walnut and a few fruit trees. Gradually adding some more features and structure. The wind really blows and we get a fair bit of "weather"!

My question concerns my old Countax A20-50.

The ignition lights come on, all electric bits like the deck and grass collector work fine.
But there's no turn over from the ignition.

A more mechanically minded friend has changed the solenoid which made no difference.
We can start it with a jump lead from the battery to one side of the solenoid so it's usable-ish.

However, when running it doesn't turn off when you get off the seat, which suggests maybe that the sensor isn't working properly.

Could it be that the sensor prevents starting, and also prevents it stopping?

If so, is it a straight replacement or could something else be at fault?

Ta
Old 28-07-2017, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

thenorms posted

Hi, I'm a newbie, living near the Kent coast. We have about an acre of
garden that was a blank canvas apart from some old willows, a walnut and
a few fruit trees. Gradually adding some more features and structure.
The wind really blows and we get a fair bit of "weather"!

My question concerns my old Countax A20-50.

The ignition lights come on, all electric bits like the deck and grass
collector work fine.

You have an electric cutting deck?

But there's no turn over from the ignition.

Are you pressing hard enough on the footbrake?

A more mechanically minded friend has changed the solenoid which made no
difference.
We can start it with a jump lead from the battery to one side of the
solenoid so it's usable-ish.

However, when running it doesn't turn off when you get off the seat,
which suggests maybe that the sensor isn't working properly.

Could it be that the sensor prevents starting, and also prevents it
stopping?

If so, is it a straight replacement or could something else be at
fault?

You could try doing what I did and short the sensor.

--
Jack
Old 29-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Registered User

Hi,
thanks for the reply

I meant that the cutting deck raises and lowers electrically, which works fine.

This model doesn't have a foot brake. It has to be in park to start.

How do I short the sensor?

cheers
Old 30-07-2017, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

thenorms posted

Hi,
thanks for the reply

I meant that the cutting deck raises and lowers electrically, which
works fine.

This model doesn't have a foot brake. It has to be in park to start.

So the parking brake must operate a switch that cuts the ignition
circuit. That may be the point of failure.

How do I short the sensor?

Connect its electric output direct to its input, so that the
weight-sensing switch inside the sensor can't interrupt the ignition
circuit. But your model is evidently a little different to mine, so it
might not work like that.

--
Jack
Old 30-07-2017, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Handsome Jack wrote:

thenorms posted

Hi,
thanks for the reply

I meant that the cutting deck raises and lowers electrically, which
works fine.

This model doesn't have a foot brake. It has to be in park to start.

So the parking brake must operate a switch that cuts the ignition
circuit. That may be the point of failure.

How do I short the sensor?

Connect its electric output direct to its input, so that the
weight-sensing switch inside the sensor can't interrupt the ignition
circuit. But your model is evidently a little different to mine, so it
might not work like that.

Perhaps you should buy, or borrow an inexpensive test meter. You
would then be able to follow back the circuit to see where the
feed is interrupted - failed switch, broken wire, loose
terminal...

Put simply, any circuit takes a supply from the electrical
source, and it makes its way by means of wires, switches and so
forth to the point where it does something - lights a lamp,
closes a relay, sounds a horn etc.

If it is not doing what you expect, either a wire has fallen off,
or some form of switch is no longer making contact properly.

Taking all necessary precautions appropriate to the application,
it is possible to bypass any part of the circuit (with croc clips
and a length of wire, for instance) to see if it has any effect
upon the desired outcome.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Old 30-07-2017, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/07/2017 10:29, thenorms wrote:
[...]

I had an oldish Hayter ride on a few years ago that dis this. I gave up
trying to trace which sensor was failing and just wired in a new starter
button and power switch straight from the battery to the starter
solenoid and ignition. The only downside was none of the safety cut offs
worked. I never fell off luckily, If I had it would of happily carried
on with out me:-)

Mike