Old 30-07-2017, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can we eat these.

In a rarely used green space near us, is this tree with a fruit that
look a bit like oval shaped cherries. Are they OK to eat ?

click on this tinypic photo hosting site to see photograph.

http://tinypic.com/r/2rnhtes/9

thanks
Old 30-07-2017, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
john west wrote:
In a rarely used green space near us, is this tree with a fruit that
look a bit like oval shaped cherries. Are they OK to eat ?

click on this tinypic photo hosting site to see photograph.

http://tinypic.com/r/2rnhtes/9

That site doesn't display for non-members.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-07-2017, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30-Jul-17 6:22 PM, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
john west wrote:
In a rarely used green space near us, is this tree with a fruit that
look a bit like oval shaped cherries. Are they OK to eat ?

click on this tinypic photo hosting site to see photograph.

http://tinypic.com/r/2rnhtes/9

That site doesn't display for non-members.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick thanks. i've got this tinypic site to work before on this group
but now i'm having trouble with it.
Apologies.
Would anyone have suggestions for a simple to use picture hosting site
please. Thanks

Old 30-07-2017, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/07/2017 18:22, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
john west wrote:
In a rarely used green space near us, is this tree with a fruit that
look a bit like oval shaped cherries. Are they OK to eat ?

click on this tinypic photo hosting site to see photograph.

http://tinypic.com/r/2rnhtes/9

That site doesn't display for non-members.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nothing showing for me either but I suspect what you have are cherry
plumbs https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/..._Plum_Hedging/
Old 30-07-2017, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David wrote:

Nothing showing for me either but I suspect what you have are cherry
plumbs https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/..._Plum_Hedging/

Most likely, and they are excellent for cooking, if a little sour
for most people's taste to eat raw. But it's worth being a bit
careful, as laurel also has such berries (and is NOT safe), and
there are exotic species with similar berries, some of which are
probably poisonous.

The things to check are the bark, leaves, stone and taste. They
should taste like a sour cherry or plum, and NOT taste of bitter
almonds.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 30-07-2017, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/07/2017 19:39, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 17:29:32 +0100, john west
wrote:

In a rarely used green space near us, is this tree with a fruit that
look a bit like oval shaped cherries. Are they OK to eat ?

click on this tinypic photo hosting site to see photograph.

http://tinypic.com/r/2rnhtes/9

thanks

Could be a wild cherry, Prunus avium
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_avium (not to be confused with
the bird cherry, P. padus). But until you can put up a picture, don't
eat the fruit.

And remember, the kernels of cherry stones contain cyanide (like most
stone fruits actually, peaches, nectarines, almonds, greengages, even
apples). This chap nearly died from eating only three cherry kernels.
I'm quite surprised it was that few. http://tinyurl.com/yc8oxoyq

Interesting article but what a load of twaddle, no warning about the
cherry stone kernel containing cyanide and do not eat.
How soon before a car should have a warning sign do not place your head
under the wheel of a moving car.
Old 30-07-2017, 08:08 PM
Registered User

id wait until someone tells you waht they are before you give them a try, i dont think i can picture ever seeing something of that description though!
Old 31-07-2017, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David
writes
wrote:

[...]

No, but can't you see Health and Safety pouncing on this? Start looking
out for the warning notices!!!

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 31-07-2017, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Rance wrote:
In message , David
writes
wrote:

[...]

Unlikely, because our ungovernment has its hands too full at present.
The last time we got a completely unnecessary and pointless law, the
tabloids decided to start a campaign claiming that undertakers were
shagging corpses, and we had Bloody Blair as PM. So we got the law
making both necrophilia and bestiality crimes, the only effect of
which was to encourage some damn-fool idiot to try the latter with
witnesses!

The victim must have been unusually sensitive because, in my family,
we have often eaten a lot more of such things. They are components of
several traditional recipes. But, yes, you need to take care. I don't
have any cherry stones to crack and weigh the kernels, but my estimate
is that 3 seeds is about 1% of the minimum lethal dose, and it is
surprising that would even cause an effect.

I am impressed by the thought of a 0.7 gram apple pip, incidentally.
More like 0.7 mg.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-07-2017, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Have tried the suggested hosting site and it works a treat. Thanks..
and to all.

Here is the photo:

https://ibb.co/hWGv4k

so its: to eat or not to eat ?

Old 31-07-2017, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
john west wrote:
Have tried the suggested hosting site and it works a treat. Thanks..
and to all.

Here is the photo:

https://ibb.co/hWGv4k

so its: to eat or not to eat ?

Well, I would :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-07-2017, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/07/2017 12:49, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
john west wrote:
Have tried the suggested hosting site and it works a treat. Thanks..
and to all.

Here is the photo:

https://ibb.co/hWGv4k

so its: to eat or not to eat ?

Well, I would :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

As I said right at the start Cherry plumb.
Old 31-07-2017, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 11:35:30 +0100, john west
wrote:

Have tried the suggested hosting site and it works a treat. Thanks..
and to all.

Here is the photo:

https://ibb.co/hWGv4k

so its: to eat or not to eat ?

I would argue that too many cherries produce similar fruit for precise
identification from a picture. But try a nibble at one and see what
it's like. That much isn't likely to kill you and it might be so sour
that you don't want to eat them anyway. I'm surprised though that the
birds haven't stripped it already. I wonder why that would be.

Sour cherries are very good for cooking. The only likely toxins are
amygdalin and prunasin, which produce cyanide. They're quite safe
in small quantities, and is found in many almond flavourings. But,
as I said, I would taste a few, and reject them if there was a taste
of bitter almonds. It's extremely unlikely, as those are present in
significant quantities in the fruits of very few Prunus (laurel being
the notorious exception).

But do not eat the leaves and be very careful about the kernels of
ANY of the stone and pip fruit belonging to the Rosaceae - a few won't
harm you, but too much will. Look at this page, and read down to the
bullet point starting "In Italy". There's no point in being paranoid,
just careful - and, as I said, checking for the danger is trivial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond...bitter_almonds

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-07-2017, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/07/2017 14:36, Nick Maclaren wrote:
wrote:

[...]

My mother used to put a few kernels of plums when bottling, it added a
rather pleasant piquancy to the fruit. we all survived to a fair age.
Old 31-07-2017, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

As the previous poster stated, a few won't harm you but too much will.
Had you eaten three or four jars, each containa few kernels, in one
sitting, you would not have posted that but you didn't so it did not
matter.
Eating cyanide in any quantity has limited appeal for most people.

--
Asha
minnies.opcop.org.uk