Old 03-08-2017, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Smallest/shortest red flowered clover?

Hi,

I have a rough old lawn and one day in a couple of years I plan to
landscape the garden and reseed the entire thing.

I noticed I have large patches of what I think is micro clover -
(Trifolium repens L. var. Pirouette) - very small, stays low, stays
green. Inspired by that, a couple of years ago, I scarified the lawn,
put a couple of ton bags of soil down to take out the worse of the
uneveness and sowed a whole assortment of random meadow flowers,
including other clovers.

I really like the red clover flowers - absolutely fantastic and they
flower between spring and now if I avoid mowing for 2-3 weeks. And it's
super green even when dry and of course, the nitrogen fixing is a win on
my clay heavy soil.

So I'd like to form my next lawn of mostly clover with some random
meadowflowers and either no grass, or a very short slow growing variety
so I can mow maybe once a month. Plus the wildlife loves it.

So - is there a red clover that is approaching micro clover for size and
height? Mine doesn't seem too straggly, but I have no idea what variant
it is and I'd like to match it or possibly use a smaller one if it exists.

Cheers,

Tim