GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ripening Blueberries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/214922-ripening-blueberries.html)

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 14-09-2017 10:09 AM

Ripening Blueberries

With the weather deteriating I've still got quite a few
blueberries on the bush, with colours varying from green with a
touch of red through to just turning blue.

Is there a way of ripening these indoors please.

Thanks

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

David[_24_] 14-09-2017 03:21 PM

Ripening Blueberries

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 10:09:35 +0100, Roger Tonkin wrote:

With the weather deteriating I've still got quite a few blueberries on
the bush, with colours varying from green with a touch of red through to
just turning blue.

Is there a way of ripening these indoors please.

Thanks

I suspect that they should continue to ripen on the bush despite the
weather.

Usual indoor ripening advice is to put them with other ripe fruit such as
bananas to get those plant hormones zipping around.

Cheers

Dave r

---

Martin Brown[_2_] 19-09-2017 09:34 AM

Ripening Blueberries

On 14/09/2017 10:09, Roger Tonkin wrote:

With the weather deteriating I've still got quite a few
blueberries on the bush, with colours varying from green with a
touch of red through to just turning blue.

It is easier to let them ripen on the bush (although I have to net mine
or the birds will eat them long before they are properly ripe).

Is there a way of ripening these indoors please.

Not really. Taking them off too soon will damage the fruit integrity and
they will likely rot before they ripen indoors. I'm in North Yorkshire
and the last of my blueberry crop ran out last week. None would have
ripened in the last week though it has been raining almost continuously.

Sun is out today so cross fingers you might be in luck too!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown