Old 18-09-2017, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cucumber Recommendation

Hi Folks,

The family have requested that we try growing some cucumbers next year; I
have access to a smallish greenhouse if necessary but no idea which variety
would be most suited to trying in Cheshire. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 19-09-2017, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Endulini wrote:

The family have requested that we try growing some cucumbers next year; I
have access to a smallish greenhouse if necessary but no idea which variety
would be most suited to trying in Cheshire. Any suggestions?

I grew a couple of varieties this year, outside, up a 6' high net.
Crystal Lemon was very good, and not bitter at all. And this
summer in Cambridge was more like a typical one in Cheshire!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-09-2017, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/09/17 20:27, Endulini wrote:
Hi Folks,

The family have requested that we try growing some cucumbers next year; I
have access to a smallish greenhouse if necessary but no idea which variety
would be most suited to trying in Cheshire. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I've grown Marketmore 76 for the last 3 years. It will grow outside, and
crops fairly well. You need to harvest when it's about 15 cm long. The
flavour is good, but it has a skin which is tough and slightly spiny. It
really needs to be peeled before eating.

--

Jeff
Old 19-09-2017, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Sep 2017 20:27, "Endulini" wrote:
Hi Folks,

The family have requested that we try growing some cucumbers next year; I
have access to a smallish greenhouse if necessary but no idea which variety
would be most suited to trying in Cheshire. Any suggestions?

Neighbour on the allotments grew Lunchbox cucumbers this year, very
impressive results. Nice small cucumbers, good flavour, thin skins, but
you do need to keep cropping almost daily.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 19-09-2017, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/09/2017 16:16, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 18 Sep 2017 20:27, "Endulini" wrote:
Hi Folks,

The family have requested that we try growing some cucumbers next year; I
have access to a smallish greenhouse if necessary but no idea which variety
would be most suited to trying in Cheshire. Any suggestions?

Neighbour on the allotments grew Lunchbox cucumbers this year, very
impressive results. Nice small cucumbers, good flavour, thin skins, but
you do need to keep cropping almost daily.

20+ years ago I grew petita, about 6inches long. as far as I can
remember it was as good as anything else we grew. I would suggest small
cucumbers as (depending on your consumption) you will bw eating fresher
cucumbers on the whole

Malcolm

Old 14-10-2017, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 20:27:21 +0100, Endulini wrote:

Hi Folks,

The family have requested that we try growing some cucumbers next year;
I have access to a smallish greenhouse if necessary but no idea which
variety would be most suited to trying in Cheshire. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

For outdoor cucumbers I grow Burpless Tasty Green.

Lots of small cucumbers and self fertile.

Cheers

Dave r

---