GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When to take in evergreen agapanthus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/215018-when-take-evergreen-agapanthus.html)

Peter Robinson 29-10-2017 08:54 AM

When to take in evergreen agapanthus

I've been given a big potted agapanthus of a sort I've never grown
before - wide leaved, so I assume non-hardy. I will keep it in a barely
heated conservatory over winter (just frost free). It doesn't look like
it needs potting on.

I'm fairly sure it would be happiest left outside as long as possible,
but I'm not sure just how tender these things are? Should I let it see
a few light frosts, and keep its time inside to a minimum, or will that
make it turn up its toes?

I assume I should keep watering to a minimum until the spring.

Peter

Peter Robinson 29-10-2017 09:48 AM

When to take in evergreen agapanthus

Chris Hogg wrote:

In your situation, I wouldn't leave them out even for a light frost;

Thanks.

bring them in as soon as a frost is forecast, which might actually be
in the next few days if the weather forecast is anything to go by.

Yes - tonight +5 is forecast, which will probably be +2/3 for me and
might be cold enough for a radiation frost. I will take your advice!

Peter

Janet 29-10-2017 03:31 PM

When to take in evergreen agapanthus

In article ,
says...

I've been given a big potted agapanthus of a sort I've never grown
before - wide leaved, so I assume non-hardy. I will keep it in a barely
heated conservatory over winter (just frost free). It doesn't look like
it needs potting on.

I'm fairly sure it would be happiest left outside as long as possible,
but I'm not sure just how tender these things are? Should I let it see
a few light frosts, and keep its time inside to a minimum, or will that
make it turn up its toes?

I assume I should keep watering to a minimum until the spring.

I live on the mild wet west coast of Scotland. Narrow and wide-leaved
agapanthus are fully hardy in my garden, unprotected both in beds and
pots. Some retain leaves in winter others don't.They all stand a few
degrees of short frost here.

Janet.

stuart noble 29-10-2017 05:58 PM

When to take in evergreen agapanthus

On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 3:31:13 PM UTC, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

I've been given a big potted agapanthus of a sort I've never grown
before - wide leaved, so I assume non-hardy. I will keep it in a barely
heated conservatory over winter (just frost free). It doesn't look like
it needs potting on.

I'm fairly sure it would be happiest left outside as long as possible,
but I'm not sure just how tender these things are? Should I let it see
a few light frosts, and keep its time inside to a minimum, or will that
make it turn up its toes?

I assume I should keep watering to a minimum until the spring.

I live on the mild wet west coast of Scotland. Narrow and wide-leaved
agapanthus are fully hardy in my garden, unprotected both in beds and
pots. Some retain leaves in winter others don't.They all stand a few
degrees of short frost here.

Janet.

The ones I'm familiar with are 6ft tall and spread like wildfire in a south facing bed (SE London). I've sawn the rootballs into small pieces and every one has taken. They may have to go.....