Old 24-11-2017, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Epsom salts - uses?

Emptying out one of the sheds and I've got back as far as the brewing
equipment.

This includes a very large plastic bag of Epsom salts.

A quick search around suggests there may be benefits including helping
plants to green up.

However it may take many years to work through the bag.

I'm reluctant to just chuck it but also reluctant to store it for another
20 years.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 24-11-2017, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2017-11-24 15:29:41 +0000, David said:

Emptying out one of the sheds and I've got back as far as the brewing
equipment.

This includes a very large plastic bag of Epsom salts.

A quick search around suggests there may be benefits including helping
plants to green up.

However it may take many years to work through the bag.

I'm reluctant to just chuck it but also reluctant to store it for another
20 years.

Cheers

Dave R

It will relieve constipation and is considered very beneficial as a bath salt.
Given its provenance, perhaps not.
Depending on the size of the very large bag, just chucking it may not
be an option - perhaps check with your local council.

Not sure why you are listing some old computer bits at the same time
but they will need proper recycling.

--
Asha

http://minnies.opcop.org.uk/negotiation.htm
Minnies, minnies, everywhere

Old 24-11-2017, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 15:56:09 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On 24 Nov 2017 15:29:41 GMT, David wrote:

Emptying out one of the sheds and I've got back as far as the brewing
equipment.

This includes a very large plastic bag of Epsom salts.

A quick search around suggests there may be benefits including helping
plants to green up.

However it may take many years to work through the bag.

I'm reluctant to just chuck it but also reluctant to store it for another
20 years.

Cheers

Dave R

Magnesium is a useful fertiliser for a range of reasons, but in
moderation I think. It's an essential component in chlorophyll, and
magnesium deficiency can result in chlorosis of the leaves. I can
vouch for the fact that it makes the colour of rose 'New Dawn' richer.
But if you've got more than you can ever use, I'm sure your local
allotment group would be glad to have it, if you've got one.

Vaguely remember using it on yellowing tomato leaved plants.
--
Jim S
Old 24-11-2017, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/11/2017 19:05, Jim S wrote:
[...]

As has been said a light dressing can do no harm, but I do mean light, I
remember trying do dress an acre with 2 cwt.
Over liming can cause magnesium deficiency
One way would to use it as a liquid feed in the spring, though you
neither say how much of it you have or how much ground you have, or for
that matter what is is stored in.
You might find this of interest
http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/tra...plant-culture/

David @ the side of Swansea where we have at last had a day without rain
Old 24-11-2017, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
David wrote:

[snip]

This includes a very large plastic bag of Epsom salts.

[snip]
Not gardening centric, but you can make your own bath salts, and it's
good for sofening hard skin on yer tootsies :-)

--
Jim White
Wimbledon London England

Old 25-11-2017, 12:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/11/2017 22:02, Jim White wrote:
In message
David wrote:

[snip]

This includes a very large plastic bag of Epsom salts.

[snip]
Not gardening centric, but you can make your own bath salts, and it's
good for sofening hard skin on yer tootsies :-)

But what is a large plastic bag?
I've bought it in 10lb tubs and 1/2 cwt sacks
What is large to one person is small to another.
if you have had tins of Epsom Salts then a 1kilo bag could be described
as large.
Old 25-11-2017, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/11/17 15:29, David wrote:
Emptying out one of the sheds and I've got back as far as the brewing
equipment.

This includes a very large plastic bag of Epsom salts.

A quick search around suggests there may be benefits including helping
plants to green up.

However it may take many years to work through the bag.

I'm reluctant to just chuck it but also reluctant to store it for another
20 years.

Cheers

Dave R

Well, it could be useful for those who are fixated on growing plants to
perfection. :-)

Other possible on-topic uses he
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_sulfate#Agriculture

What about donating some of it to a local horticultural/gardening society?

--

Jeff
Old 25-11-2017, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 00:48:31 +0000, David wrote:

On 24/11/2017 22:02, Jim White wrote:
In message
David wrote:

[snip]

This includes a very large plastic bag of Epsom salts.

[snip]
Not gardening centric, but you can make your own bath salts, and it's
good for sofening hard skin on yer tootsies :-)

But what is a large plastic bag?
I've bought it in 10lb tubs and 1/2 cwt sacks What is large to one
person is small to another.
if you have had tins of Epsom Salts then a 1kilo bag could be described
as large.

Haven't weighed it but probably 10 Kg+ in a heavy duty clear plastic bag.
Originally bought as a water treatment for use when brewing beer yea these
many years ago.

I could use it in a bath but I usually shower.

Small garden, mainly lawn at the moment.

The most likely candidates are citrus trees in pots outdoors (under
shelter for the moment). Plus a grape vine and a wisteria in "temporary"
pots.

Lawn is due to go next year (or the year after....)

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 25-11-2017, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A quick search around suggests there may be benefits including helping
plants to green up.

Once a year liqued feed for Hanging baskets, have also used to on
fruiting raspberries just as they are commng into flower.
Old 25-11-2017, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/11/2017 15:29, David wrote:
Emptying out one of the sheds and I've got back as far as the brewing
equipment.

This includes a very large plastic bag of Epsom salts.

A quick search around suggests there may be benefits including helping
plants to green up.

However it may take many years to work through the bag.

I'm reluctant to just chuck it but also reluctant to store it for another
20 years.

Cheers

Dave R

The first relevant match for application rates on Google (you may wish
to look elsewhere for confirmation) says 0.5-2 pounds per acre of
Magnesium for foliar application. If I interpret that correctly that
means a rate of five times that mass of Magnesium Sulphate on the basis
of the calculation

(24+32+4*16)/24

--
SRH

Old 26-11-2017, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

The first relevant match for application rates on Google (you may wish
to look elsewhere for confirmation) says 0.5-2 pounds per acre of
Magnesium for foliar application. If I interpret that correctly that
means a rate of five times that mass of Magnesium Sulphate on the basis
of the calculation

Just chucking it on the soil surface of pots works perfectly well.
It's not harmful in moderate overdose.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-11-2017, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2017-11-24 15:29:41 +0000, David said:

[...]

Ummm...which old computer bits would these be?

Especially on a gardening NG.

Puzzled.

Dave R

---

Old 26-11-2017, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2017-11-24 15:29:41 +0000, David said:

[...]

Your signature gives what I would presume to be your system configuration
"AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64"

--
SRH
Old 27-11-2017, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2017-11-24 15:29:41 +0000, David said:

[...]

The one's in your sig.
Especially on a gardening NG.
Puzzled.

--
Asha

http://nature.opcop.org.uk
The flora and fauna of Buchan

Old 29-11-2017, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2017-11-24 15:29:41 +0000, David said:

[...]

Hmmm...not that old.

Special bundle offer from Overclockers in September 2016 so just over a
year old.

The requirement was for a budget system which could match the performance
of my older Intel Core i5 2500k, which still performs very well.

So far, so very good. It does everything I need although I am
contemplating a memory upgrade above 8 GiB.

The signature identifies the system that I am posting from as I have
several machines contributing to several news groups all using Pan and I
find it useful to track which one I used to post.

As for Windows 7 - matter of choice.

Cheers

Dave R

---

[IBC] Epsom salts Samuel Gomez Bonsai 13 20-10-2003 08:12 AM
[IBC] Epsom salts and superthrive Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 1 18-10-2003 12:02 PM
[IBC] Superthrive (was [IBC] Epsom salts Anita Hawkins Bonsai 0 17-10-2003 05:42 PM
How much epsom salts for a sick pumpkin? Ednews United Kingdom 12 29-05-2003 05:24 AM
Epsom Salts??? Abra Myers Orchids 5 13-02-2003 07:25 AM