Old 05-01-2018, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default SOT - seems a bit early...

Photographed a few minutes ago on the garden tap insulation. Outside
temp was 7.5 deg C.
https://imgur.com/UCES7gS

It flew off when I touched it, so it wasn't even "sleepy".

--

Jeff
Old 05-01-2018, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/01/18 11:52, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 11:34:14 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

Photographed a few minutes ago on the garden tap insulation. Outside
temp was 7.5 deg C.
https://imgur.com/UCES7gS

It flew off when I touched it, so it wasn't even "sleepy".

A 'red admirable' as we call them in our household, which is
apparently what they were originally called. This, from
https://www.gwct.org.uk/wildlife/spe...7/red-admiral/

"The name ‘red admiral’ apparently comes from a corruption of the
original 18th-century name ‘red admirable’."

and on the same page:

"The first admirals to be spotted here in spring, sometimes as early
as February, may well have managed to overwinter in the south of
England as adults, although usually our winters are too harsh for them
to survive. Climate change may well be resulting in more adult
admirals managing to successfully overwinter here."

Yes, I had identified it before posting, but thought it would make an
interesting surprise. I have seen them in March, but never so early in
the year. And this winter has been a lot colder and wetter than the four
previously we've experienced here in south central Hampshire. It was
pretty warm yesterday (12 deg C), so maybe that's what brought it out.

I guess it must be finding nectar somewhere (ivy flowers?) but can't see
it surviving for long.

--

Jeff
Old 05-01-2018, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 13:23:10 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 05/01/18 11:52, Chris Hogg wrote:

"The name ‘red admiral’ apparently comes from a corruption of the
original 18th-century name ‘red admirable’."

and on the same page:

"The first admirals to be spotted here in spring, sometimes as early
as February, may well have managed to overwinter in the south of
England as adults,

Yes, I had identified it before posting, but thought it would make an
interesting surprise. I have seen them in March, but never so early in
the year. And this winter has been a lot colder and wetter than the four
previously we've experienced here in south central Hampshire. It was
pretty warm yesterday (12 deg C), so maybe that's what brought it out.

Not yesterday but i saw one in the weeks leading up to Christmas on a
couple of occasions when the Sun was warming the air, lives in one of
the sheds.
Hampshire- Dorset border.

I guess it must be finding nectar somewhere (ivy flowers?) but can't see
it surviving for long.

There is some Winter Honeysuckle out plus some Heathers.
And a marsh marigold in the edge of the Pond has never really stopped
flowering so there is some sustenance around.

Seen a couple of bees around as well.

G.Harman

Old 05-01-2018, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 11:34:14 Jeff Layman wrote:

Photographed a few minutes ago on the garden tap insulation. Outside
temp was 7.5 deg C.
https://imgur.com/UCES7gS

I tried connecting to this but I got this error message:

"The owner of imgur.com has configured their web site improperly. To
protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to
this web site."

First time I've ever seen this message.

David

Old 05-01-2018, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/01/18 17:44, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 17:21:42 +0000, David Rance
wrote:

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 11:34:14 Jeff Layman wrote:

Photographed a few minutes ago on the garden tap insulation. Outside
temp was 7.5 deg C.
https://imgur.com/UCES7gS

I tried connecting to this but I got this error message:

"The owner of imgur.com has configured their web site improperly. To
protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to
this web site."

First time I've ever seen this message.

David

Don't get that with my current version of FF, 57.0.3, although it can
come up occasionally almost anywhere. But FF is badgering me to
update, so that may change.

Now updated to 57.0.4 and it still loads OK. Is there some other
software blocking it and reporting through FF?

No problem with FF54.0 either (I'm changing to Pale Moon as I don't like
what Mozilla have done with 57.0). I get the update message too, and
I've had the improper config message as well, but never with imgur.com.

--

Jeff

Old 05-01-2018, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/01/2018 20:13, Jeff Layman wrote:

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 17:21:42 +0000, David Rance
"The owner of imgur.com has configured their web site improperly. To
protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to
this web site."

Snip

No problem with FF54.0 either (I'm changing to Pale Moon as I don't like
what Mozilla have done with 57.0). I get the update message too, and
I've had the improper config message as well, but never with imgur.com.

Just for the heck of it, there's no problem here using Iron, which is
based on Chrome.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 20:55:09 John Williamson wrote:

On 05/01/2018 20:13, Jeff Layman wrote:

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 17:21:42 +0000, David Rance
"The owner of imgur.com has configured their web site improperly. To
protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to
this web site."

Snip
No problem with FF54.0 either (I'm changing to Pale Moon as I don't
like what Mozilla have done with 57.0). I get the update message too,
and I've had the improper config message as well, but never with
imgur.com.

Just for the heck of it, there's no problem here using Iron, which is
based on Chrome.

Hmm, so I wonder why my system doesn't like it.

David

Old 05-01-2018, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/01/18 22:10, David Rance wrote:
On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 20:55:09 John Williamson wrote:

On 05/01/2018 20:13, Jeff Layman wrote:

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 17:21:42 +0000, David Rance
"The owner of imgur.com has configured their web site improperly. To
protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to
this web site."

Snip
No problem with FF54.0 either (I'm changing to Pale Moon as I don't
like what Mozilla have done with 57.0). I get the update message too,
and I've had the improper config message as well, but never with
imgur.com.

Just for the heck of it, there's no problem here using Iron, which is
based on Chrome.

Hmm, so I wonder why my system doesn't like it.

David

Try FF in Safe Mode (in "Help" - "Restart with add-ons disabled"). If
the imgur page loads, then it's one of your add-ons which is responsible.

--

Jeff
Old 06-01-2018, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Photographed a few minutes ago on the garden tap insulation. Outside
temp was 7.5 deg C.
https://imgur.com/UCES7gS

It flew off when I touched it, so it wasn't even "sleepy".

A 'red admirable' as we call them in our household, which is apparently
what they were originally called. This, from
https://www.gwct.org.uk/wildlife/spe...7/red-admiral/

"The name ‘red admiral’ apparently comes from a corruption of the
original 18th-century name ‘red admirable’."

and on the same page:

"The first admirals to be spotted here in spring, sometimes as early as
February, may well have managed to overwinter in the south of England as
adults, although usually our winters are too harsh for them to survive.
Climate change may well be resulting in more adult admirals managing to
successfully overwinter here."

In the past they have overwintered in our garage, and emerged in spring.

I haven't seen any around this year yet.

We leave a window open so that they can get in and out instead of being
found trapped when we open the doors.

I assume being inside a building protects them from seriously sub-zero
temperatures as the garage is detached and unheated.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 06-01-2018, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 22:44:09 Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

Without having made any changes to Firefox I've just tried again - and
it now loads perfectly! There haven't been any updates during this
period.

David