Old 05-01-2018, 08:04 PM
Registered User

Default Black Oxford apple: where to find it?

Hi there!
I'm from Italy and I found on internet that there a Black apple called Oxford Black.
It should be a British apple cultivar.
I'm searching for bare root grafted plants or scion-woods.
Please can you help me?
Thank you very much!
Old 05-01-2018, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

hereistay wrote:

I found on internet that there a Black apple called Oxford Black.

I'd never heard of it, but two sources I found say it originates from
Maine in the USA.

https://www.orangepippin.com/apples/black-oxford
Old 05-01-2018, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Jan 2018 20:04, hereistay wrote:

Hi there!
I'm from Italy and I found on internet that there a Black apple called
Oxford Black.
It should be a British apple cultivar.
I'm searching for bare root grafted plants or scion-woods.
Please can you help me?
Thank you very much!

It's an American apple from Oxford County, Maine, USA. Hence the name.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 06-01-2018, 11:50 AM
Registered User

You're right, it is from Oxford, Maine, sorry for the mistake!
Do you think it is possible to find in Europe?
Is there something similar?
Old 06-01-2018, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/01/18 11:50, hereistay wrote:
You're right, it is from Oxford, Maine, sorry for the mistake!
Do you think it is possible to find in Europe?
Is there something similar?

You could try emailing Brogdale ).

Brogdale holds the UK's National Fruit Collection, and has over 2200
varieties of apple. They might know of a source for Black Oxford, or of
a similar apple.

--

Jeff

Old 08-01-2018, 10:46 AM