Old 01-02-2018, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Electric cables

On Monday, September 3, 2001 at 6:53:02 PM UTC+1, dragonfly wrote:
Hi,

Delurking for a while to introduce myself (E London small garden in the
midst of a total makover and screaming because it's not finished yet) and
ask a small question.

Does anybody know whether it's OK to run weatherproof electric cables
overground. The builder ran a conduit under the patio for the pond pump but
lost the mouse (the bit of string he was going to use to pull the wire
through). Argh!

Great group, hope to be posting here soon once I get something to talk
about. We're just a patio, mud and piles of old rubble at the moment.

Thanks,
Barbara
loose the fox to e-mail me

Barbara. Any installation of new external cables must be carried out by a PartP qualified electrician. not all electrician are. That electrician will have or can obtain quite cheaply thin nylon rods (Smaller version of drain rods) which as long as there are not very sharp bends in the under ground conduit can be pushed through and the cable attached and drawn through on this . The only slight problem may be that cables do have to be a certain depth below ground and this may be a concern that the electrician could have as they do not know at what depth the conduit was place. and going by your builders reply to you i would not trust that they have done this correctly.
bit long winded but hope it helps.
Keith.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 01 Feb 2018 06:21:45 -0800, mail_k_a wrote:

[...]

Sigh.

17 - yes - seventeen years too late.

I'm not sure that it is accurate either.
Firstly you don't necessarily need Part P.
Secondly I would be very surprised if there is a qualified electrician who
is not Part P registered because the is very little s(he) could legally do
commercially.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 01-02-2018, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/02/18 15:11, David wrote:

I'm not sure that it is accurate either.
Firstly you don't necessarily need Part P.
Secondly I would be very surprised if there is a qualified electrician who
is not Part P registered because the is very little s(he) could legally do
commercially.

Cheers

Dave R

That isn't quite true. A relative retired last year from a job of Plant
Maintenance Engineer in a factory. He could work on the factory
electricity systems because Part P was specifically for dwellings, but
couldn't do anything that needed Part P qualifications in a domestic
environment because he hadn't sat the exam for the certificate; and he
couldn't just sit the exam, he had to complete a course beforehand. It
wasn't worth the money or the time off work so he didn't bother to prove
that what he did regularly at work he could also do at home.

As for garden wiring, Part P certification applies unless power is
delivered by armoured cable.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sharon wrote:

As for garden wiring, Part P certification applies unless power is
delivered by armoured cable.

Non-armoured cable should only be used in gardens if you don't own any
digging implements :-P
Old 02-02-2018, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/02/18 14:21, wrote:
On Monday, September 3, 2001 at 6:53:02 PM UTC+1, dragonfly wrote:
Hi,

Delurking for a while to introduce myself (E London small garden in
the midst of a total makover and screaming because it's not
finished yet) and ask a small question.

Does anybody know whether it's OK to run weatherproof electric
cables overground. The builder ran a conduit under the patio for
the pond pump but lost the mouse (the bit of string he was going to
use to pull the wire through). Argh!

Great group, hope to be posting here soon once I get something to
talk about. We're just a patio, mud and piles of old rubble at the
moment.

Thanks, Barbara loose the fox to e-mail me

Barbara. Any installation of new external cables must be carried out
by a PartP qualified electrician.

I must correct you he

1) Anyone can undertake electrical work in the UK.

2) However, some works are classed as "notifiable" which means that:

2a) The work must be undertaken by a person registered on a "Part P Self
certification scheme" - eg NAPIT, ELECSA, NICEIC and several others;

-OR-

2b) The work make be noted on a Building Notice Application and
submitted to the local council Building Control dept. They will discuss
how it is tested and signed off. Some will allow someone who
demonstrates competence to test and sign their own work - I have done
this. Others will provide an electrical inspection and test afterwards.

However, in England, outside work is no longer notifiable (it was before
2013). In Wales it still is - and no idea about N Ireland and Scotland.

http://www.electricalcompetentperson...ions-Explained

not all electrician are. That electrician will have or can obtain
quite cheaply thin nylon rods (Smaller version of drain rods) which
as long as there are not very sharp bends in the under ground
conduit can be pushed through and the cable attached and drawn
through on this . The only slight problem may be that cables do
have to be a certain depth below ground and this may be a concern
that the electrician could have as they do not know at what depth the
conduit was place. and going by your builders reply to you i would
not trust that they have done this correctly. bit long winded but
hope it helps. Keith.

Regarding the original question: uk.d-i-y would be a better group, but:

1) "Fishtape" or "Draw Tape" will allow the conduit to be used which is
what you are alluding to above.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...20M/index.html

Another solution is to tie a cotton wool ball onto the end of some
button thread and use a hoover to suck it through. Use thread to pull
string, then string to pull nylon cord, then cable.

Depending on the cable run, the voltage and the protection offered
otherwise, the OP may need SWA armoured cable.

If mains, you'll need SWA unless it's in heavy gauge metal conduit.

If SELV (what normal people call "low voltage") a certain amount of
judgement should be used - the principle risk being fire rather than shock.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/02/18 10:22, Tim Watts wrote:
On 01/02/18 14:21, wrote:
On Monday, September 3, 2001 at 6:53:02 PM UTC+1, dragonfly wrote:

And yes, I know ^^^ - but in the interests of preventing mis information
spreading