GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pruning the roses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/215212-pruning-roses.html)

Vir Campestris 18-02-2018 09:41 PM

Pruning the roses

I was giving the hedge its pre-nesting cut today, and noticed that we
have roses that have buds. On one of them they're flower buds!

Our books all say prune in March (Cambs).

What does the team think? Should we do it now?

Andy

Bob Hobden[_6_] 18-02-2018 11:12 PM

Pruning the roses

On 18 Feb 2018 21:41, Vir Campestris wrote:
I was giving the hedge its pre-nesting cut today, and noticed that we
have roses that have buds. On one of them they're flower buds!

Our books all say prune in March (Cambs).

What does the team think? Should we do it now?

Always prune ours before the winter sets in, pre Christmas, to stop and
wind damage occurring.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Jeff Layman[_2_] 19-02-2018 08:00 AM

Pruning the roses

On 18/02/18 21:41, Vir Campestris wrote:
I was giving the hedge its pre-nesting cut today, and noticed that we
have roses that have buds. On one of them they're flower buds!

Our books all say prune in March (Cambs).

What does the team think? Should we do it now?

Andy

Did mine a couple of weeks ago, despite them growing well and having
some flower buds. I'd put it off again and again hoping for dormancy,
but despite several cold days and repeat frosts they never stopped growing.

--

Jeff