Old 10-05-2003, 02:08 PM
al

Default What animal digs small holes in lawn??

"hayley" wrote in message
try looking closely at the bottom of the fence. Animals (esp. badgers)

often
leave bits of fur where they've squeezed through. If it is coarse,
grey/black/white it's probably a badger. Rabbits are more soft and
fluffy/brown. Foxes trends to smell strongly. Rabbits also eat plants,

lots,
so you'd probably notice plant damage if it were rabbits. Don't know why

it
would suddenly happen though.
Hayley

No fur at all, but I have found two areas that look disturbed where an
animal could crawl though. I've posted some pics at this address:

http://www.alanirl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Old 10-05-2003, 02:08 PM
al

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
Also, if it's badger, if you run your fingers along the hair one way it
feels smooth and the other way distinctly coarse.

Personally, I think it is a rabbit.
We are being overrun by the blighters and little holes like you have
described are appearing all over the place (
At this time of year, you can often see them early in the morning, say
just after dawn, just before they bed down for the day!

Can't find any evidence being left, bar the holes. Have a look at these
pics I took, see if it means anything:

http://www.alanirl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Old 10-05-2003, 02:08 PM
al

"Robert" wrote in message
From our observations of lawn excavations during the last five years -
If the holes were about 50/60mm in diameter and 60/90mm deep with no
evidence of the earth being scraped out I would suggest woodpeckers
after ants. Holes in lawns made by badgers are usually 70/100mm
diameter and 100/150mmm deep with very obvious signs of the earth being
scraped out to one side and they are often in small groups. If you can
get a shovel into the ground a badger will have no difficulty digging in
it - they only have problems if the turf is exceptionally dry and hard
after a prolonged drought. Foxes excavations tend to be larger with the
spoil scattered over a wider area than badger creations and they
normally choose softer ground. Squirrels tend to make quite small,
shallow scrapes in lawns to bury food and then fill them in again. On
the odd occasion we have found very deep holes about 50mm across which
we assume are made by small rodents. We have no experience of rabbit
depredations - the foxes see to that.
--
Robert

Mine are about 200-300mm deep (where successful). There are a couple in
harder ground where I think whatever animal it was gave up! I've put some
pics up at the following address:

http://www.alanirl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Old 10-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Bigjon

In a fit of excitement al uttered:

"Robert" wrote in message
From our observations of lawn excavations during the last five years -
[...]

Looks like a bunny to me...
--
\\(º`¿´º)//
It's probably on http://support.microsoft.com/ somewhere....
Old 10-05-2003, 03:08 PM
@ttilla the pun

"al" wrote in message
"hayley" wrote in message
try looking closely at the bottom of the fence. Animals (esp. badgers)

often
leave bits of fur where they've squeezed through. If it is coarse,
grey/black/white it's probably a badger. Rabbits are more soft and
fluffy/brown. Foxes trends to smell strongly. Rabbits also eat plants,

lots,
so you'd probably notice plant damage if it were rabbits. Don't know why

it
would suddenly happen though.
Hayley

No fur at all, but I have found two areas that look disturbed where an
animal could crawl though. I've posted some pics at this address:

http://www.alanirl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

There's only one answer to this "ALIENS" (search the skies ,search the

skies)

Old 10-05-2003, 03:20 PM
al

"Bigjon" wrote in message

Looks like a bunny to me...
--

Any easy way of discouraging them rather than a battle of trying to keep
them out with mesh, etc.?

Old 10-05-2003, 03:20 PM
al

"@ttilla the pun" wrote in message

There's only one answer to this "ALIENS" (search the skies ,search the
skies)

But there's no crop circles ....

Old 11-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Bigjon

In a fit of excitement al uttered:

"Bigjon" wrote in message

Looks like a bunny to me...
--

Any easy way of discouraging them rather than a battle of trying to keep
them out with mesh, etc.?

If you never had them(it) before, what's new or different?

There is not much you can do without a strong mesh fence (embedded at least
a foot into the soil), but.. try removing any piles of cuttings, low
covering plants, stone piles or other debris to prevent the rabbits from
hiding there. a place with little cover is not attractive to any intruders,
not just Rabbitts! Try planting garlic, onions or Mexican marigolds in your
garden. Hawks and owls are natural predators of rabbits, so you might
consider building nesting boxes for these birds. You could try sprinkling
around the garden pepper or talcum powder, or even setting out a section of
garden hose that may look like a snake to the rabbit....
--
\\(º`¿´º)//
Old 11-05-2003, 02:44 AM
david

Instead of burying netting 12 inches into the ground, just bend the bottom 6
inches back along the ground. Rabbits reaching a fence start to dig, they
don't have the sense to back of a bit if they hit problems

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 11-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Derek Turner

On Sat, 10 May 2003 00:40:25 +0100, "hayley"
wrote:

What do badgers dig for?

slugs, worms, beetles etc. This is what they eat.
Hayley

that's when thery're not taking the eggs or chicks of ground-nesting
birds, stealing pheasant-poults out of their pens or digging under my
neighbour's chicken wire and smashing their way into the coops to
murder his banties. we're overrun with the b*st*rds, I wish they were
a tenth as rare as their 'protected' status implies /rant
--
Derek Turner

Outlook Express is worth precisely what you paid for it.

Old 11-05-2003, 08:44 PM
al

"Bigjon" wrote in message
If you never had them(it) before, what's new or different?

When I say never - never in the 6 months we've been here

There is not much you can do without a strong mesh fence (embedded at

least
a foot into the soil), but.. try removing any piles of cuttings, low
covering plants, stone piles or other debris to prevent the rabbits from
hiding there. a place with little cover is not attractive to any

intruders,
not just Rabbitts! Try planting garlic, onions or Mexican marigolds in

your
garden. Hawks and owls are natural predators of rabbits, so you might
consider building nesting boxes for these birds. You could try sprinkling
around the garden pepper or talcum powder, or even setting out a section

of
garden hose that may look like a snake to the rabbit....
--

Where they dug there was no cover at all - the biggest hole was bang in the
middle of the lawn! Might try sprinkling a bit of pepper around the borders

Old 12-05-2003, 01:09 AM
hayley

Any easy way of discouraging them rather than a battle of trying to keep
them out with mesh, etc.?

get a nice big cat
Hayley

Old 12-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Victoria Clare

"al" wrote in news:K_5va.815$KY6.626@news-
binary.blueyonder.co.uk:

No fur at all, but I have found two areas that look disturbed where an
animal could crawl though. I've posted some pics at this address:

http://www.alanirl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

That definitely looks like rabbit. I don't think a badger would get
through those gaps without leaving fur and probably having to move some of
the soil too. If rabbit, it's a wild one, not a domestic escapee, because
the holes are so small.

I suggest a close inspection of all the fences, and apply chicken wire to
any gaps underneath. Bend the wire outwards, as someone has suggested.

If you can, enclose the garden, rather than looking for plants that rabbits
don't like. Rabbits will eat almost anything when they are hungry enough,
and are very adaptable to new food sources!

Victoria