Old 14-05-2003, 07:32 AM
Di

Default What animal digs small holes in lawn??

It is difficult to judge the size but frogs dig holes as well as rabbits is
this a poissibility? is there a pond near by?

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.218...
"al" wrote in news:K_5va.815$KY6.626@news-
binary.blueyonder.co.uk:

No fur at all, but I have found two areas that look disturbed where an
animal could crawl though. I've posted some pics at this address:

http://www.alanirl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

That definitely looks like rabbit. I don't think a badger would get
through those gaps without leaving fur and probably having to move some of
the soil too. If rabbit, it's a wild one, not a domestic escapee, because
the holes are so small.

I suggest a close inspection of all the fences, and apply chicken wire to
any gaps underneath. Bend the wire outwards, as someone has suggested.

If you can, enclose the garden, rather than looking for plants that

rabbits
don't like. Rabbits will eat almost anything when they are hungry enough,
and are very adaptable to new food sources!

Victoria

Old 14-05-2003, 09:56 PM
ned

Di wrote:
It is difficult to judge the size but frogs dig holes as well as
rabbits is this a poissibility? is there a pond near by?

'Don't think its frogs.
And it doesn't seem right for rabbits either. Rabbits are pretty
vigorous diggers and usually leave mounds of spoil behind. At least
mine do.
Too neat and too small for badgers.
I'd plump for rats or voles. For some reason, voles can make extensive
tunnel systems without creating the the mounds that moles create. And
voles like lots of exit holes. On the other hand a vole would tunnel
underground below the fence. So the surface level holes at the fence
make me think its more like a rat.
Or, if these are just excavations rather than tunnel systems, for
something completely different, could it be a bird? The holes around
the tree remind me of pheasant, or moorhen scratching for grubs and
seed.
'Hope you will report back when the mystery is solved. ;-)

--
ned

Old 15-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , ned
writes
Di wrote:
It is difficult to judge the size but frogs dig holes as well as
rabbits is this a poissibility? is there a pond near by?

'Don't think its frogs.
And it doesn't seem right for rabbits either. Rabbits are pretty
vigorous diggers and usually leave mounds of spoil behind. At least
mine do.

Well, ours leave little indents in the ground, just as has been
described, all over the place. Sometimes they defecate in them but more
often than not they don't. We just can't figure out why they do it. They
are a *!"$*~ nuisance
They also dig nesting burrows, but those are few and far between. The
little indents are all over the place.

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 15-05-2003, 09:44 PM
ned

Jane Ransom wrote:
In article , ned
writes
Di wrote:
It is difficult to judge the size but frogs dig holes as well as
rabbits is this a poissibility? is there a pond near by?

'Don't think its frogs.
And it doesn't seem right for rabbits either. Rabbits are pretty
vigorous diggers and usually leave mounds of spoil behind. At least
mine do.

Well, ours leave little indents in the ground, just as has been
described, all over the place. Sometimes they defecate in them but
more often than not they don't. We just can't figure out why they do
it. They are a *!"$*~ nuisance

:-) Yes I can relate to that. It was the absense of spoil that made
me think again. But maybe that has something to do with the soil.
Fine, sandy soil would be spread far and wide whereas heavier soil
might be piled up. One of the phographs did show some round 'pellets'
by the scrape, which could have been droppings. But would rabbits
choose to scrape close to tree stumps? Dunno.

--
ned

Old 16-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , ned
writes

But would rabbits
choose to scrape close to tree stumps? Dunno.

They sure do - there does not seem to be any logical reason to where
they do and don't scrape. I can understand their scraping at the base of
shrubs to eat the roots but I can't understand in the middle of a lawn
or at the base of a tree!!!

Old 16-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Tim

On Thu, 15 May 2003 21:23:28 +0100, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article , ned
writes

But would rabbits
choose to scrape close to tree stumps? Dunno.

They sure do - there does not seem to be any logical reason to where
they do and don't scrape. I can understand their scraping at the base of
shrubs to eat the roots but I can't understand in the middle of a lawn
or at the base of a tree!!!

Sorry, I lost the start to this thread, I thought I read that the holes had
dirt thrown up around them?
Can you explain what they look like again for me. How wide/deep ?
Do you have foxes in the area?

Tim.

Old 16-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Jane Ransom

In article opro89v208wxhha1@localhost, Tim timnothy.cohsalpleangmer@apk.
at writes

Sorry, I lost the start to this thread, I thought I read that the holes had
dirt thrown up around them?
Can you explain what they look like again for me.

OP said -
A few weeks ago, there were two neat holes dug around the stump of a tree
we'd just cut down. Last night, there were two holes in the middle of our
grass!! About 4 inches across with a lot of "digging spray" behind them.

Old 16-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Tim

On Fri, 16 May 2003 10:49:19 +0100, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article opro89v208wxhha1@localhost, Tim
timnothy.cohsalpleangmer@apk.
at writes

Sorry, I lost the start to this thread, I thought I read that the holes
had dirt thrown up around them?
Can you explain what they look like again for me.

OP said - A few weeks ago, there were two neat holes dug around the stump
of a tree
we'd just cut down. Last night, there were two holes in the middle of
our
grass!! About 4 inches across with a lot of "digging spray" behind them.

Ta. So big ? That basically rules out mice, voles.
Where they just depressions or were they tunnels ? As you say rabbits look
a good bet. Or foxes if it's not a tunnel. Any free roaming chickens in the
area ? Tim.