Old 27-03-2018, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Reducing eucalyptus

We are thinking of drastically reducing the height of a eucalyptus gunnii
tree. There is plenty of advice to keep them cut back regularly to obtain
the young foliage, but what will it do if it is thirty years old and has
never been cut back before? Will it still resprout and when is a good time
to do it? Supposing it is chopped off at about ten feet high, would it
sprout from the top, which would please the neighbours, or from ground
level? Has anyone tried this?

Old 27-03-2018, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 17:08:55 +0100, Tahiri wrote:

We are thinking of drastically reducing the height of a eucalyptus
gunnii tree. There is plenty of advice to keep them cut back regularly
to obtain the young foliage, but what will it do if it is thirty years
old and has never been cut back before? Will it still resprout and when
is a good time to do it? Supposing it is chopped off at about ten feet
high, would it sprout from the top, which would please the neighbours,
or from ground level? Has anyone tried this?

Not done this with a 30 year old one, but I would expect it to sprout from
the top. Most Eucalyptus are very resilient (but no warranty). I've seen
some looking healthy which have apparently been chopped back when mature.

You can also cut off or rub out any ground level sprouts whilst the top re-
establishes.

I would assume spring might be a good time when growth is strong.

This advice is worth roughly what you paid for it! ;-)

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 28-03-2018, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Thank you for your thoughts David. I think we will dither about the idea for
a bit longer. There are two more elms to come down first anyway. (They got
big enough to recatch dutch elm disease)

Old 03-04-2018, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, 28 March 2018 20:45:04 UTC+1, Tahiri wrote:
[...]

When my mother's large eucalyptus was badly damaged in a storm, she had it cut down to near the base and it regrew quit happily and is still there 20 odd years later.

In our previous home we had a number of elm trees in the hedges and when they died back, I contacted the forestry commission who said to leave them. Apparently it is not warm enough in the UK (despite being 'English' elms) to flower and set seed instead the propagate bu suckering. At leat that's what I was told.

Jonathan
Old 05-04-2018, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you for your thoughts David. I think we will dither about the idea
for
a bit longer. There are two more elms to come down first anyway. (They got
big enough to recatch dutch elm disease)

When my mother's large eucalyptus was badly damaged in a storm, she had it
cut down to near the base and it regrew quit happily and is still there 20
odd years later.

In our previous home we had a number of elm trees in the hedges and when
they died back, I contacted the forestry commission who said to leave them.
Apparently it is not warm enough in the UK (despite being 'English' elms) to
flower and set seed instead the propagate bu suckering. At least that's what
I was told.

Jonathan

Useful comment re your mother's eucalyptus, thank you. What part of the
country was that?

As for the elms, they certainly sucker madly but they also flower when big
enough. The spread of youngsters is sufficient that I am sure some of them
are seedlings even if only a small proportion of seeds were viable. (This is
North Wales, but at low level.)

T.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Tahiri wrote:

As for the elms, they certainly sucker madly but they also flower when big
enough. The spread of youngsters is sufficient that I am sure some of them
are seedlings even if only a small proportion of seeds were viable. (This is
North Wales, but at low level.)

They certainly flower, but don't propagate by seed much. Wych elms do,
however.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, 5 April 2018 08:59:03 UTC+1, Tahiri wrote:

[...]

Hertfordshire.

Jonathan