Old 05-04-2018, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shredded paper

I have several black sacks of mixed shredded paper which I was going to
dig into the garden, but I am wondering what would happen if I used the
paper in the bottom of my Potato trenches, then dosed with a high
nitrogen fertilizer before covering and planting the potatoes.
Any comments?
David @ a still very wet side of Swansea Bay.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 23:01:49 +0100, David wrote:

I have several black sacks of mixed shredded paper which I was going to
dig into the garden, but I am wondering what would happen if I used the
paper in the bottom of my Potato trenches, then dosed with a high
nitrogen fertilizer before covering and planting the potatoes.
Any comments?
David @ a still very wet side of Swansea Bay.

Can't do any harm. I would make sure it is thoroughly wet before
backfilling and probably wise to add some slug pellets.
--
Jim S
Old 06-04-2018, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

I have several black sacks of mixed shredded paper which I was going to
dig into the garden, but I am wondering what would happen if I used the
paper in the bottom of my Potato trenches, then dosed with a high
nitrogen fertilizer before covering and planting the potatoes.
Any comments?
David @ a still very wet side of Swansea Bay.

Hadn't though of that but it sounds good to me. Maybe scatter some
chicken pellets as the high nitrogen fertliser.

We put all our shredded paper in the compost heap.

Janet

---
http://www.avg.com

Old 06-04-2018, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

I have several black sacks of mixed shredded paper which I was going to
dig into the garden, but I am wondering what would happen if I used the
paper in the bottom of my Potato trenches, then dosed with a high
nitrogen fertilizer before covering and planting the potatoes.
Any comments?
David @ a still very wet side of Swansea Bay.

Hadn't though of that but it sounds good to me. Maybe scatter some
chicken pellets as the high nitrogen fertliser.

We put all our shredded paper in the compost heap.

I've been surprised how well shredded paper (and even cardboard) works
in a compost bin. I expect burying isn't quite the same, though. Less
air, I imagine.

Janet

---
http://www.avg.com

Old 06-04-2018, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

I have several black sacks of mixed shredded paper which I was going to
dig into the garden, but I am wondering what would happen if I used the
paper in the bottom of my Potato trenches, then dosed with a high
nitrogen fertilizer before covering and planting the potatoes.
Any comments?
David @ a still very wet side of Swansea Bay.

Hadn't though of that but it sounds good to me. Maybe scatter some
chicken pellets as the high nitrogen fertliser.

We put all our shredded paper in the compost heap.

I've been surprised how well shredded paper (and even cardboard) works
in a compost bin. I expect burying isn't quite the same, though. Less
air, I imagine.

We can put shredded paper and cardboard in our brown bin so it must
compost fairly well.

In practice we put mostly cardboard in our brown bin as we tend to
fill up our blue recyclng bin sometimes. Actual garden compost goes
on the 'garden' (9 acres of it).

--
Chris Green
·

Old 06-04-2018, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I have several black sacks of mixed shredded paper

I would also add it to the compost bin, everything this year being so
wet might help to aid the composting process

Shredded paper mulch Wolf K Gardening 4 16-09-2006 07:05 PM
Composting Shredded Paper Droog Genzel United Kingdom 23 16-02-2005 08:53 PM
Shredded paper as mulch? Ken Oaf Australia 8 05-10-2004 10:26 PM
shredded paper for composting bill Gardening 1 24-02-2004 11:19 PM
composting shredded paper Mark Fawcett United Kingdom 8 24-12-2003 12:10 AM