Old 13-04-2018, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mice eating young brassicas

I have just taken the fleece off a planting of young cauliflowers and kale which went into the bed about three weeks ago. All the plants have been chewed down to bare stems, and in the middle of the bed is a mouse hole. After a short period of grieving I did some googling and came across the idea of surrounding each young plant with sprigs of holly. As I have another tray of seedlings to go out, I thought I’d try this.
Has anyone had a similar problem, tried holly or found another cunning solution?
Janet G
Old 14-04-2018, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/04/2018 12:37, Janet G wrote:
I have just taken the fleece off a planting of young cauliflowers and kale which went into the bed about three weeks ago. All the plants have been chewed down to bare stems, and in the middle of the bed is a mouse hole. After a short period of grieving I did some googling and came across the idea of surrounding each young plant with sprigs of holly. As I have another tray of seedlings to go out, I thought I’d try this.
Has anyone had a similar problem, tried holly or found another cunning solution?
Janet G

Are you sure that it's not slugs? Despite a few cold weeks this winter
I seem to have rather a lot of slugs and snails roaming around at the
moment.

Old 14-04-2018, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I think not slugs although I’m aware they’re likely to thrive under fleece and in the wetness most for us have had. But there are clear rodent holes, although I’m thinking now that it might be voles, and they’re eaten cleanly and right down to the main stem. They were fairly substantial plants, about 10” tall and between 30 and 40 of them, and I think perhaps slugs would have eaten more erratically and messily.
Janet G