Old 17-04-2018, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Palm tree has become wobbly at base of trunk

I have a palm three that's about 6ft tall. A few days ago, I noticed it was leaning slightly. On inspection, I found that it now wobbles at its base of its trunk. I'm not sure how this happened. We've had some freezing temps this year - and some strong winds, but not stronger than previous years. The tree was planted about 10 years ago.

Is the tree doomed, or is there a way to restore its stability?

Many thanks...

Al_V
Old 17-04-2018, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/04/18 18:44, wrote:
I have a palm three that's about 6ft tall. A few days ago, I noticed it was leaning slightly. On inspection, I found that it now wobbles at its base of its trunk. I'm not sure how this happened. We've had some freezing temps this year - and some strong winds, but not stronger than previous years. The tree was planted about 10 years ago.

Is the tree doomed, or is there a way to restore its stability?

Many thanks...

Are you in the UK? If so, where?

There is only one palm which is more-or-less hardy in the UK, and that
is the Chusan palm - Trachycarpus fortunei. It is unlikely that recent
cold weather would damage it, and at only 6 ft tall, very unlikely that
wind would move it.

Is it by any chance a cordyline (often referred to as "Cabbage Palms")?
The usual one growing in the UK is Cordyline australis, and that is not
as hardy as a Chusan palm, but under most circumstances is hardy enough
anywhere south of the north of England or anywhere on the west coast.

But is there any possibility that it got its roots soaked for some time
in the recent heavy rain? If so, they could have rotted and it is now
not stable. I suppose that /could/ happen to a Chusan palm too, but I
have never heard of it.

If the roots of a cordyline have rotted, it is possible to cut it off
above the rotten part, and reroot the upper section. It will take some
time to root, but it can be done.

--

Jeff
Old 20-04-2018, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/04/2018 22:09, Jeff Layman wrote:

If the roots of a cordyline have rotted, it is possible to cut it off
above the rotten part, and reroot the upper section. It will take some
time to root, but it can be done.

I lost some cordylines this past winter (that have survived many
winters). It was the wrong sort of snow and it stuck onto the growing
head and seems to have killed them stone dead. I am leaving well alone
in the hope that they recover from the roots but I am not optimistic.

I remember looking at the snow pom-poms on their tops and thinking it
might either protect them from the hard frosts or finish them off.
I fear it was the latter. Cross fingers and wait...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 25-04-2018, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 10:09:27 PM UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

Hi Jeff, No it is not a cordyline or a Trachycarpus fortunei, it is the other type of palm that thrives here on the south coast of England. They are often called Phoenix palms or Canary Isle palms (with a short trunk).
Old 25-04-2018, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/04/18 13:33, wrote:
[...]

Well, if it's Phoenix canariensis, it is quite possible that the severe
and frequent frosts last winter have unfortunately finished it off. The
RHS describes its hardiness as "H2 - Tolerant of low temperatures, but
not surviving being frozen (1 to 5)".

The problem with plants like P. canariensis is that they appear to be
growing happily for many years simply because they haven't been exposed
to the level of cold which kills them. Then we get that odd, severe
winter which pushes them beyond their limits to cope. Of course, you may
be in a favoured location where the microclimate allows the plant to
survive, but the chance is low. Whatever, I'd support it with some
struts and wait for several months just to see if it pulls through.

--

Jeff

Old 29-04-2018, 06:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 7:25:07 PM UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
Whatever, I'd support it with some
struts and wait for several months just to see if it pulls through.

--

Jeff

Struts sound like an idea worth trying. Thank you for that.

By the way, the same thing happened to a cordyline I had some years ago in the same area. I wish I had then know your tip about cutting it off at the base and replanting the trunk! I suspected root rot, because the ground here is basically clay, except for the small area where the tree was planted, but underneath, it's all clay, so such plantings may get waterlogged in the root area.

Old 29-04-2018, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/04/18 06:48, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 7:25:07 PM UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
Whatever, I'd support it with some
struts and wait for several months just to see if it pulls through.

--

Jeff

Struts sound like an idea worth trying. Thank you for that.

By the way, the same thing happened to a cordyline I had some years ago in the same area. I wish I had then know your tip about cutting it off at the base and replanting the trunk! I suspected root rot, because the ground here is basically clay, except for the small area where the tree was planted, but underneath, it's all clay, so such plantings may get waterlogged in the root area.

Does your P. canariensis have any offsets? If so, it might be worth
removing them and trying to root them. Phoenix dactylifera (date palm)
is propagated this way as it is one of the few palms which can be rooted
from offset cuttings. Maybe P. canariensis will behave the same way.

With regards to planting over clay, it may be better with plants like
phoenix to build them up on a mound to help drainage. The problem with
clay is that you dig a hole, put good quality well-drained soil in, and
plant the tree. Then it rains heavily, and the hole acts like a sump and
fills up with water, as it can't drain away quickly through the clay
walls and bottom. I succeeded in killing a rare 25 years old
Carmichaelia stevensonii that way, which had lived happily in a pot
until we moved and I had plenty of room to plant it. I had no idea that
I had chosen the worst part of the garden (in terms of waterlogging) in
which to plant it until it was too late.

--

Jeff