Old 21-04-2018, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Jeyes Fluid on Garden

I use Jeyes fluid for cleaning my seed trays etc.

Is it OK to poor the dirty water + Jeyes fluid on to raised beds before there
is anything planted in them?

Old 22-04-2018, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/forums/t/3962.aspx
Old 22-04-2018, 07:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/2018 00:44, Tim Watts wrote:
On 21/04/18 20:14, Judith in England wrote:

I use Jeyes fluid for cleaning my seed trays etc.

Is it OK to poor the dirty water + Jeyes fluid on to raised beds
before there
is anything planted in them?

http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/forums/t/3962.aspx

Has Jeyes been re-formulated as part of the Elfin Safety nanny state? If
so, advice given a decade or more ago may be a bit suspect?

Old 22-04-2018, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/18 07:24, alan_m wrote:
On 22/04/2018 00:44, Tim Watts wrote:
On 21/04/18 20:14, Judith in England wrote:

I use Jeyes fluid for cleaning my seed trays etc.

Is it OK to poor the dirty water + Jeyes fluid on to raised beds
before there
is anything planted in them?

http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/forums/t/3962.aspx

Has Jeyes been re-formulated as part of the Elfin Safety nanny state? If
so, advice given a decade or more ago may be a bit suspect?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeyes_Fluid

(One characteristic is that it goes milky on being added to water).

It's also toxic to felines, even by skin contact.

I found a safety sheet from 2013:

https://www.officestationery.co.uk/d...HH/JY00107.pdf

which looks basically the same active ingredient.
Old 24-04-2018, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/2018 07:23, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 20:14:53 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:

I use Jeyes fluid for cleaning my seed trays etc.

Is it OK to poor the dirty water + Jeyes fluid on to raised beds before there
is anything planted in them?

I assume you're not cleaning your pots etc. with neat Jeyes, but
considerably diluted.

Jeyes fluid was used as a soil sterilising agent, amongst other
things. But IIRC it was OK to plant into the soil after about six
weeks, but the time probably depends on how concentrated the
application.

It would probably be OK, but is it worth the risk? Are you wanting to
sterilise the soil prior to planting (if so, why; what's wrong with
it?). If you're just looking for somewhere to dispose of the water,
then find a drain somewhere and pour it down there.

You could always poor it onto some weeds you want rid of. ISTR it will
damage foliage that it comes into contact with and may harm seedlings
even in trace amounts. Mustard & cress germination test will show if
there is a problem with soil contamination.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 13-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Registered User

Default Jeyes Fluid.

Cleaning pots, green house glass etc. great.But l would have thought that putting it on the garden doesn't make sense. The soil is full of all sorts, of micro-organisms, bacteria etc. without which you would have very poor crops indeed.. As already advised, throw it down the drain. Those micro-organisms. are too important to kill off.
Old 13-05-2018, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/05/2018 11:59, Bigal wrote:

Cleaning pots, green house glass etc. great.But l would have thought
that putting it on the garden doesn't make sense. The soil is full of
all sorts, of micro-organisms, bacteria etc. without which you would
have very poor crops indeed.. As already advised, throw it down the
drain. Those micro-organisms. are too important to kill off.

But don't forget that if you want to make good seed compost you
sterilize the soil before using it