GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Insect observations today (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/215352-insect-observations-today.html)

alan_m 26-04-2018 05:30 PM

Insect observations today

In S.E.Essex it has been a mixed day, weather wise. Hot when sunny,
bloody cold when the sun disappears behind clouds and a few light
showers[1].

After one shower and the wind died down a bit there were THOUSANDS of
greenfly being blown about in the light breeze. 10 minutes later they
had all dissipated.

I cut down some branches from a (French) bay leaf bush a couple of days
ago and put them in a loose pile at the bottom of the garden. When the
sum heats them up I can smell the bay leaf aroma. These few cut branches
have attracted around a 100 hover-fly.

[1] Sods law says it starts raining when I have taken the maximum number
of power tools into the garden for a bit of DIY work on the house.