Old 02-05-2018, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grumble, grumble, weather, planting seeds?

Most seeds seem to have a minimum temperature for planting, and a period
(month or so) for planting.

In the East of England recent temperatures have been down to 4C during the
day which is well below the minimum temperature on the packets.

I've got some seeds germinating/germinated which came up rapidly in the
warm weather but seem to have slowed down almost to a stop.

I have some courgette seeds to plant, but I can't decide if it is worth
planting them until the weather picks up.

Once the weather warms up I am sure things will catch up, but this isn't
the best start to the year that I can remember.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 02-05-2018, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David wrote:
Most seeds seem to have a minimum temperature for planting, and a period
(month or so) for planting.

Essentially, yes - vegetable seeds, anyway :-(

In the East of England recent temperatures have been down to 4C during the
day which is well below the minimum temperature on the packets.

I've got some seeds germinating/germinated which came up rapidly in the
warm weather but seem to have slowed down almost to a stop.

Most of mine haven't shown, and I suspect they have germinated and died.
I have resown some in the same location.

I have some courgette seeds to plant, but I can't decide if it is worth
planting them until the weather picks up.

If you can start them in pots, especially indoors, it is a great help.
I sprout mine on wet kitchen rull under cling film, and then put them
in pots. I then plant them when the space is ready and the weather
looks as good as it will get.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Most seeds seem to have a minimum temperature for planting, and a period
(month or so) for planting.

In the East of England recent temperatures have been down to 4C during the
day which is well below the minimum temperature on the packets.

I've got some seeds germinating/germinated which came up rapidly in the
warm weather but seem to have slowed down almost to a stop.

I planted most of my veg seeds in trays, which I put in the
garage and they all seem to have geminated OK. I move them
outside each day and bring them back into the garage if very
cold weather is forecast. Recently I've left them out overnight
covered witth the plastic seed tray covers (held down by a
piece of wood 'cos it's windy!).

I have some courgette seeds to plant, but I can't decide if it is worth
planting them until the weather picks up.

I sneaked a couple of pots with 2 courgette seeds (ever the
pesimist!)in each into the kitched when swmbo was not around.
One seed in each geminated quickly, and it looks as if the
other is now germinating. I'll probably move them outside
during the day and only bring them in overnight for the next
week or so.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

---
http://www.avg.com

Old 02-05-2018, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 May 2018 14:16, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:
[...]

I'm about a month behind with stuff on our allotment. Only planted the
shallots and onions last week, spuds the week before all together. Our
ground is still very wet (clay/silt) and todays downpour will not have
helped. Never ever known being so late.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden